Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help! Mushy and low clutch pedal AFTER races!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Mushy and low clutch pedal AFTER races!

Just as the title says, AFTER a race, the pedal is low, and stiff, wont come up, and it feels hard to pull out of gear. This only happens after races, but the race tends to go by ok, aside from it causing me to maybe miss a shift. I replaced my fluid, and re bled it, it was all black. I ran my line behind the stock exhaust heat shield, is that good enough? What would cause this?? The pedal would only come up and feel competely normal after about 10 seconds.

Air in line? Fluid getting hot? bad slave or master cylinder?

Any help? Driving me crazy.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More than likely a bad slave
Old 04-01-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
More than likely a bad slave
Old 04-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Guhh, I dont want to pull the tranny again, what a head ache. I find it odd that under normal driving, even if I beat on the car a bit, it is fine, but as soon as I really drive it hard, it does it. Then "pop" it is all normal.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:54 PM
9 Second Club

mine does the same thing but then it seems to be fine after a little while. im not particularly worried about it. it seems like the clutch engages as soon as you lift off the floor when normally its not til the top of the pedal. only does it at the track. hmmm...
Old 04-01-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by subhumanzz
mine does the same thing but then it seems to be fine after a little while. im not particularly worried about it. it seems like the clutch engages as soon as you lift off the floor when normally its not til the top of the pedal. only does it at the track. hmmm...
Mine dies EXACTLY what you just described.....it seems to engage RIGHT off the floor after any WOT runs through 2nd & 3rd gear.....other than that I have no other issue's with it. I really would like to know exactly what is happening to cause this....I did a search & come to the conclusion that some after replacing everything (clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, flywheel,master cylinder, slave, drill mod) still have this issue.... is it just an engineering defect???
Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 AM
9 Second Club

can someone chime in on this please?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:47 AM
FormerVendor

Due to the fact that this primarily occurs after races it could easily be a temp. dependent issue, leading me to beleive that you may be boiling the fluid. However, the return to normal actuation after cool down negates this because boiled fluid would aerate and thus cause continued problems. Do you all have the drill mod on the Master?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

I dont know if this will help, last summer when i would get on it from a stop the pedal would stick to the floor and id have to pull it up with my foot, was slipping. I had black murky crap in the bottom of my clutch resivoir. I was told its a master gone bad, i replaced both master and slave. Havent driven it tho...could be a bad master...jmo.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like boiled fluid, too many miles on DOT3 and a unwrapped clutch line, replace the fluid and wrap the line.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Sounds to me like boiled fluid, too many miles on DOT3 and a unwrapped clutch line, replace the fluid and wrap the line.
^yup what he said
Old 04-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine's got 32k on it, the fluid was done once, I just wrapped the line and will be replacing, too many horror stories for not to do it.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Teching In

I've got a 2002 ZO6 with LS7 pressure plate clutch bolted to a Fidenza aluminum flywheel. I have had the same experience you described. Hard driving left the pedal very mushy, had to push down much farther to get any release. In 4th gear after a full throttle run to redline, I couldn't get the car out of gear, the clutch pedal was pushed all the way down, but it was as if it was disconnected. The clutch never stuck to the floor, however.

I Replaced the T/O and the master. Seems a little better, but I get the mushy pedal after driving a short distance soon after cold startup, but never immediately after cold startup. The pedal can normally be pushed down with one finger 3/4". When the mushy pedal syndrome kicks in, I can push the pedal down nearly 3 full inches with one finger. After driving for about 45 minutes, the clutch is usually back to normal again. Yet often after extended drives on the highway, when I then clutch the pedal has the nearly 3" slop at the top again.

I HATE HYDRAULIC CLUTCHES!!!

Pumping the pedal lightly 10-20 times, just to the point of resistance, usually brings the pedal back for a few shifts. The fluid is not the problem, I have bled it, had it bled, flushed it, etc. numerous times. I have not had black fluid.

I am told the pressure plate is self adjusting, is there something within that is changing things do to thermal expansion? Is the aluminum flywheel expanding at a different enough rate to confuse it?

I absolutely feel the frustration of others on this thread. I sure wish there was an answer.

Chuck
Old 04-15-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ You replaced the TO bearing but didnt replace the slave whiloe you were at it?

If you havent done the drill mod then do that too.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Teching In

... Yes, the slave too. I also went with the McLeod braided line that does not have the restriction.

Chuck
Old 04-16-2007, 02:24 PM
FormerVendor

The stock plates are self-adjusting but this should have no affect on the pedal or associated pedal effort. Once the adjustment occurs there is no way for it to reset. As much as I know you don't want to hear this but it still sounds like hydraulic issues.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
wrencher

Agree w/ all those chiming in here, you need to insulate the line. Keeping the fluid clean by flushing is also a good idea.
But I will have to say that the master sounds like it could also be a culprit.
I was also having major issues w/ hydraulics. I was hating them myself.
What has finally worked for me is the insulation, drill mod, & to me the most important part, an adjustable master w/ the proper adjustment.
Then maintained w/ regular fluid flushes. This has served me well for the past 3-4 years now.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
what do you mean by wrap the line? what would be the reason for this? i have heard of people doing that after they installed headers on their car. is this because the headers are closer to the line? Thanks...
Old 04-17-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
what do you mean by wrap the line? what would be the reason for this? i have heard of people doing that after they installed headers on their car. is this because the headers are closer to the line? Thanks...
You wrap the braided line rubber hose like heater or fuel hose, then tie the line as far from the header as you can. This will help out a lot in keeping the fluid from getting hot, whcih results in clutch issues.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Finally, people who know!! I've been trying to explain this problem to others and they stair at me as if i own a mustang or something... I have this same problem. Every one is like "slave slave slave". But after I wrapped the clutch line and zip tied it away from the header it got.. better.. not FIXED but better than before. It's fine now on the motor, but when I spray it is still evident. It will only let me get one or two shifts in before it's stuck to the floor and wont let me go into another gear. I'm going to flush the fluid more and wrap it with what was recomended above(heater or fuel hose) in addition to the thin foil like wrap i have on it now. I'll get back with info on my situation when i try that.

Quick Reply: Help! Mushy and low clutch pedal AFTER races!