Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Teach me how to speed shift.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Optimal
I would like to get a Pro 5.0 but i'd like to drive a car with it first...

ya!
Just buy one with a lou short stick from Afterthoughts Auto, you will not be dissapointed. The pro5.0 with the LSS is just badass.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by brad8266
Just buy one with a lou short stick from Afterthoughts Auto, you will not be dissapointed. The pro5.0 with the LSS is just badass.

I don't like that shifter with a short stick. I have a Pro 5.0 with the shifter handle that it came with.

I justify it like this;

The longer the lever, the further away from the fulcrum a force can be applied to the lever. Creating a bigger force on the other side of the fulcrum. So, with a longer shifter handle, less force is required to overcome the resistance of the transmission syncros and move the shifter to the next gear.

A friend of mine recently got a 427 installed in his Camaro SS. He has the shortstick with his Pro 5.0. We had a rental day and he would miss gears on every pass. I told him to install the shifter handle that came with his Pro 5.0 He called me a few days later from the track saying he was able to hit every gear going down the 1320.

So, personally, I recommend using the regular Pro 5.0 shifter handle.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Im spending a few dollars for suspension/brakes for AutoX/RR so anything else will have to wait a while lol.

But I do plan on doing the clutch/shifter shortly after this. My shifter blows butter.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Optimal
So in essence its really a matter of having a great clutch to perform something like this.

I know with my stock clutch I have to go about half way in before I can make a shift. While my foot is on the way in, I will be pulling down (for second), and when I start moving into second gear I drop the clutch.

It may not be perfect by any means, but for what I have I don't know how to be much faster. I know in the last 2-3 weeks since I went racing I have got much better with shifts doing this kind of shifting.

Also, just a question... How are people going from 2nd to 1st... A. Wont the transmission keep you from doing this? and B..... Can you not feel it?

I know mine will NOT go into first gear unless I am doing below 30mph...
You don't have to fully disengage it, just take the pressure off it
Old 04-12-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
I don't like that shifter with a short stick. I have a Pro 5.0 with the shifter handle that it came with.

I justify it like this;

The longer the lever, the further away from the fulcrum a force can be applied to the lever. Creating a bigger force on the other side of the fulcrum. So, with a longer shifter handle, less force is required to overcome the resistance of the transmission syncros and move the shifter to the next gear.

A friend of mine recently got a 427 installed in his Camaro SS. He has the shortstick with his Pro 5.0. We had a rental day and he would miss gears on every pass. I told him to install the shifter handle that came with his Pro 5.0 He called me a few days later from the track saying he was able to hit every gear going down the 1320.

So, personally, I recommend using the regular Pro 5.0 shifter handle.
Maybe my tranny is in good shape because mine goes right into gear with no problem, even with the short stick.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Viper
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XedpZ_BkG4w"

Damn, that's gettin er done!!!

Nice job, the rpms hardly drop when you shift

amen
Old 04-12-2007, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Default no i didnt say that

Originally Posted by LSXNV
i have raced a few old school cars and i am a truck driver. you can shift without the clutch under "no-load". but not WFO. not with a tranny w/sychros.
i didnt say that
powershift is a wot shift
ive heard this said a thousand times buy older racers

"My clutch linkage broke and i had to speedshift the car to get it home"
i know the bacics of clutchless shifting and on a syncroed tranny its all in the rpms
Old 04-12-2007, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

haha i want to hear the story when someone tries clutchless shifting in our cars... good luck with that. around town is one thing i do it all the time i wait until the rpm is exactly where its gonna be in the following gear and just slide it in no problem... if im doin 6700rpms in a race with the pedal matted and just rip the shifter into the next gear i highly doubt it will go in i can see a miss shift and or the end of the gear or synchros
Old 04-13-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
i know the bacics of clutchless shifting and on a syncroed tranny its all in the rpms
true, its all about rpms', hit the right rpm and the shifter will slide out without too much of a fight.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1LoudTA
haha i want to hear the story when someone tries clutchless shifting in our cars... good luck with that. around town is one thing i do it all the time i wait until the rpm is exactly where its gonna be in the following gear and just slide it in no problem... if im doin 6700rpms in a race with the pedal matted and just rip the shifter into the next gear i highly doubt it will go in i can see a miss shift and or the end of the gear or synchros
BINGO on the rev match. though, even doing this at low engine speeds can be pretty rough on the poor, stock, sychros. if you dont wanna use a clutch, buy an automatic or a jerico, lenco, brinn. hope you dont mind the sound of straight cut gears though. think "gear drive" right under your shifter.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
No

Speedshifting is letting off the throttle, press in clutch, switch gear, let out the clutch and back on throttle, all done as fast as possible!
umm once again i gotta disagree....i think what you've just described is granny shifting...granny shifting fast, but still granny shifting.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Damn you guys arent double clutching like you should be? thats how you git-r-dun.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont use the clutch to disengage, I pull it out of gear and just as its going into the next gear clutch it. You can hardly hear it shift, almost like an automatic. The drill mod helps and a good clutch also does too. My clutch has no gradual engagement, its either on or off.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

I like letting off throttle just a touch, tapping the clutch while grabbing the next gear.
I just tired of doing clutch and tranny swaps.
BTW my Exoskel dual disc has really settled in nicely.
It engages right at the top and I haven't missed a gear in quite a while.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ripper415
umm once again i gotta disagree....i think what you've just described is granny shifting...granny shifting fast, but still granny shifting.
amd ive gotta tell you that youre wrong.

granny shifting - clutching, lifting and shifting slowly

speedshifitng - clutching, lifting and shifting fast

powershifting - clutching, shifting fast, no lift.

hence the term "power"shift bc you are still on the gas the whole and shifting under "power"
Old 04-17-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just have the LSS and I never miss a shift, even when I try to. It's one of the best mods I've ever done. I use to always miss that 2-3 shift.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
even when I try to.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

actually, i read in the latest Car Craft they have a "mega" trans based off the T56 that has "dog ring" synchros. i guess you can shift clutchless with synchros as its description says.. i am guessing this thing cost about as much as a drop in LS1 though.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
amd ive gotta tell you that youre wrong.

granny shifting - clutching, lifting and shifting slowly

speedshifitng - clutching, lifting and shifting fast

powershifting - clutching, shifting fast, no lift.

hence the term "power"shift bc you are still on the gas the whole and shifting under "power"
i dont disagree with your power shifting definition. just on the speedshifting. w/e i'll guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. it's all good though
Old 04-18-2007, 01:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ripper415
i dont disagree with your power shifting definition. just on the speedshifting. w/e i'll guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. it's all good though
thats cool man, thats just what ive learned from where im from. im sure others have different terms than me