Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bad Bearing? T56Rebuilds/6SpeedInc help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Bearing? T56Rebuilds/6SpeedInc help please!

Howdy! I have an 02 M6 Z28 with a LS7 clutch/flywheel and a prothane tranny mount as the only drivetrain mods. After i installed the new tranny mount, there of course was a little bit more vibration and the problem i am having i dont believe is due to the mount.

Problem: Everywhere i go in first gear, there is a loud hummin/whining noise whenever the clutch is out and i am doing 10 to 20 mph, but other than that you can't notice it much and it stops as soon as i push the clutch in. Also, when i am sitting perfectly still with my foot off the clutch, I can hear rotational noise that sounds like a T/O bearing, yet my T/O and pilots were just replaced 1k miles ago. Sometimes (fairly often) I have problems shifting into first when slowing down or starting from a stop in neutral. When it does finally go into first, the tranny will clunk and the rotational noise will stop.

Also, if i am cruising at 50 or so and push in the clutch and downshift to 3rd or 2nd while still having my foot on the clutch, a fairly quiet humming noise begins and if i pop the shifter into neutral the humming noise continues until i go into the gear that i was previously in.

Not sure if its related but under 50% ish or more throttle in gears my shifter boot is rattling pretty loudly.

Any help from yall is greatly appreciated! Thank yall very much, especially Joe & Amber if yall chime in on this one! -Karl

Last edited by LS1Aggie09; 04-09-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the T/O Bearing is going out. What gives me the idea is not the sound but the fact you are having issues going into first. Try puting the car on 4 jack stands. Put the car in first and with the clutch pedal pushed in see if the tires spin. If they do your hydraulics are worn or the clutch is dragging. Short of driving it over and letting us drive with you that is the best place for you to start. If that is the case you should replace the hydralulics and take a look at the clutch to see if it is worn.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 04-10-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks amber...i may have to make a stop by there one day in the next week or so. i have a brand new clutch and slave and everything except the clutch master cylinder.