Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

V6 M5 to T56 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 M5 to T56 swap

I'm trying to figure out if I can put a T56 in my little v6 car with a limited budget. It is just a V6 afterall.

http://www.sdparts.com/product/X2450...llhousing.aspx

I'm thinking of using this plate so that I can keep my V6 to T5 bellhousing, and use my V6 Spec clutch.

I'm worried that the plate will set the tranny back far enough to cause problems:

1) The input shaft will be mobed back an inch or so it might not reach all the way into the pilot bearing in the crankshaft. Will that cause vibrations, and undue stress on the T56 input shaft?

2) The shifter will sit an inch farther back in the shifter hole than normal. Will that cause the shifter to bind on the body/interior panels?

3) I have a 1 piece steel driveshaft. By moving the tranny back, will I need to shorten the Driveshaft, or will it fit in the alloted space and not cause trouble.

I guess the speedo and reverse cables are on opposite sides as a T5, but that should be easy to fix.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not an expert on this stuff but here's things I thought of reading the post. Is there a tail piece that's shorter that can be welded to replace the one on your driveshaft ask a driveshaft shop they can tell you they mostlikely have a shorter yoke you can install. I bet that the shifter fits fine you may have to cut some sheetmetal usually not a problem. The center console may still fit fine with the shifter. Is it possible to move the center console back and drill new mounts to fit the console over the shifter. Are you able to use the 6th gear just wondering. You must have a light car for you to use the t56 6th gear in a v6.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Launching!

The shifter is prolly gonna be the easiest thing to adapt. My main worry is whether the input shaft will be too short with the adapter plate.

I The car weighs 3500 fully loaded, I don't know if I'll be able to even use 6th gear with my gutless motor. I want this tranny installed because I'm gonna be doing a V8 swap in a while.

Another important piece of info that would help me out: Can someone tell me the diameter of the input shaft tip that fits in the pilot bearing?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you go too far buying a junk yard T56 , look at a 1386-000-011 model T56. It is made for your type of conversion. You may pay more for the trans but you will save overall on the conversion and headaches.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by calhoon
Before you go too far buying a junk yard T56 , look at a 1386-000-011 model T56. It is made for your type of conversion. You may pay more for the trans but you will save overall on the conversion and headaches.
http://www.sdparts.com/product/X2450...llhousing.aspx

Is this what you were talking about, or is it something different? I actually like this option the best.

It would cut WAY down on the parts I would need.

T56 shifter
crossmember
Clutch master cyl?
clutch slave Cyl?
T56 pilot bearing?

I think that would be about it. I'm not even sure about the last 3 though. They might still be compatible with my v6 stuff. I know the V6 slave looks the same as the LS1 slave, so I don't know if it's a different part or not.

Quick Reply: V6 M5 to T56 swap