Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec Clutch Owners In Here......

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

zombie youre just a M6 hater!! just messing with you.i know you had quite a few problems,i never understood how you went through so many clutches like that lol
Old 05-14-2007, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
zombie youre just a M6 hater!! just messing with you.i know you had quite a few problems,i never understood how you went through so many clutches like that lol
I never understood it either, especially at my power level. But since I've gone TH400, I've got several friends that have killed other Spec clutches as well as one guy who killed a cintered iron RAM clutch in a turbo car.

It sux. Almost every big power 6spd car I know has clutch issues.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zombie
I never understood it either, especially at my power level. But since I've gone TH400, I've got several friends that have killed other Spec clutches as well as one guy who killed a cintered iron RAM clutch in a turbo car.

It sux. Almost every big power 6spd car I know has clutch issues.
i swear you and me are like complete opposites when it comes to that lol.those specs hated life with you and theyve been amazing to me.did you get all of yours about the same time frame,like from the same batch?
Old 05-14-2007, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a 3 with aluminum flywheel for 2 1/2 years and it still grabs like a champ. It's all in the break-in. We'll see how it likes the 408 I have going in.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm having this very same problem at the moment , this thread is helping
Old 05-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem with my sons car and a SPEC stage 3. The clutch worked fine for several months then the pedal got higher and higher until the clutch started slipping. I removed the spacer plate that SPEC sends with the clutch. The clutch worked for 6-9 months more and then started slipping again. At that point I removed the clutch and the disk was worn below the minimum thickness and needed replaced.
I recently installed a SPEC 3+ in my camaro and it has never worked, I have slipping problems. It is back at SPEC for the second time. After measuring several pressure plates and clutches I believe there is a problem with the diaphragm in the pressure plate. The dimensions from the back of the flywheel to the pressure plate fingers was 3.283 inches and a stock LS7 was 2.918. This causes the slave cylinder to be pushed all the way back and the throwout bearing is still always pressing against the diaphragm. Like riding the clutch. It also causes less static pressure on the clutch and allows it to slip easier. I had a SPEC 3 that worked for a long time and that pressure plate measured 2.998 inches. I am waiting to see what SPEC will do for me.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Red 02 When did you get your clutch? Installed mine yesterday I wish I would have sen this earlier so I coud have checked my pressure plate. Thanks for the info....
Old 05-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Teching In

I bought the 3+ last fall. It is an aluminum flywheel and pressure plate as well. The oldest and best one I had was purchased about 2 years ago. When the 3+ slipped it warped the inserts in the flywheel and the pressure plate. I am in the process of having SPEC fix it. I believe the pressure plate has a problem that needs corrected.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red02
I bought the 3+ last fall. It is an aluminum flywheel and pressure plate as well. The oldest and best one I had was purchased about 2 years ago. When the 3+ slipped it warped the inserts in the flywheel and the pressure plate. I am in the process of having SPEC fix it. I believe the pressure plate has a problem that needs corrected.
I don't think Spec recommends an alum fly wheel for this reason. They don't help enough to matter and get warped easily.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine welded itself to the flywheel after 1000 miles and the 9 total track passes. I was on my third pass of the day on a set of nittos in the burnout box. I have a t-rex clutch now.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red02
I had the same problem with my sons car and a SPEC stage 3. The clutch worked fine for several months then the pedal got higher and higher until the clutch started slipping. I removed the spacer plate that SPEC sends with the clutch. The clutch worked for 6-9 months more and then started slipping again. At that point I removed the clutch and the disk was worn below the minimum thickness and needed replaced.
Yea that is pretty much my same exact situation. But trust me when I say we are not the only ones who have had this exact same situation. I think Im gonna go LS7 here in a month or so. Wish I would have listened to the people telling me not to go with the Spec, they were dead on.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i had a spec 3 X that lasted 30k and 200+ hard passes on slicks and 5000+ dumps
its going in another car this summer as with the new motor i went with a stg5 that i think drives better and probbly get another 30k+ outta it seen/installed ALOT of specs and alot of the issues are heat related ie. slipping it to much which any clutch will give you issues at that point . performance clutches hate heat period. if you slip a spec alot it will wear quickly
Old 06-05-2007, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it looks like im just rewriting what half of everyone else who posted in this thread has written already...i got a spec 3 clutch back in january 07. i also got the master and slave cylinders replaced. put in a new flywheel too.....and then about 2 weeks ago i am driving around in 5th gear on the highway and floor it...and hey what do you know, my clutch slips and my motor revs up an extra 1500 RPMS!!! yay for spec clutches...6 months and 5k miles later i have a worn out clutch...very dissapointed and pissed off b/c aside from everything that goes wrong with the pleasure of owning a camaro, i just threw my money down the drain. hopefully i can get spec to compensate for my loss...let's just say that if i was stranded on an island with a drag strip in the middle of the pacific and i had unlimited parts and spec clutches...i would rather my car sit on the sandy beach and enjoy my pina colada instead of wasting my time installing a clutch that is only going to last half a year. id probably use the clutch for disc golf or to break open coconuts. on a side note, i never even ran my car at the track with this clutch. i heard great things about these clutches and now im just mad i didnt listen to the few people who hated them...

my car has 380hp
i havnt taken it to the track once w/ this new clutch
it has only been in the car for 5k miles
i drove 1k miles breakn it in....just for extra caution...since spending 700$ for a clutch/01 master cyl/01 slave cyl is not a small bit of pocket change...
i got it installed at my local F-Body shop
now im pretty frustrated and need to contact spec

Last edited by camd98z; 06-05-2007 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camd98z
well it looks like im just rewriting what half of everyone else who posted in this thread has written already...i got a spec 3 clutch back in january 07. i also got the master and slave cylinders replaced. put in a new flywheel too.....and then about 2 weeks ago i am driving around in 5th gear on the highway and floor it...and hey what do you know, my clutch slips and my motor revs up an extra 1500 RPMS!!! yay for spec clutches...6 months and 5k miles later i have a worn out clutch...very dissapointed and pissed off b/c aside from everything that goes wrong with the pleasure of owning a camaro, i just threw my money down the drain. hopefully i can get spec to compensate for my loss...let's just say that if i was stranded on an island with a drag strip in the middle of the pacific and i had unlimited parts and spec clutches...i would rather my car sit on the sandy beach and enjoy my pina colada instead of wasting my time installing a clutch that is only going to last half a year. id probably use the clutch for disc golf or to break open coconuts. on a side note, i never even ran my car at the track with this clutch. i heard great things about these clutches and now im just mad i didnt listen to the few people who hated them...

my car has 380hp
i drove 1k miles breakn it in....just for extra caution...since spending 700$ for a clutch/01 master cyl/01 slave cyl is not a small bit of pocket change...
This is my EXACT SAME situation, sounds like there is a bad batch or something because what are the odds the exact same thing happens to this many people over the same period of time. Im starting to miss my mustang, I could spend 189.99 on a king cobra and it would last 50k miles with TONS of track passes.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the stock flywheel, and to this day still using the original slave cylinder w/ the original fluid in it @ 101,000 miles. Works great. LOL
Old 06-05-2007, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camd98z

my car has 380hp
can i ask why you decided to floor it in 5th gear at 1500rpms?you dragged the clutch doing that so just curious.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh man... I am not liking the thread...

I am in the process of ordering a 3+...
Old 06-05-2007, 03:35 PM
FormerVendor

I've said it once, I'll say it again, if you ever have an issue pull the clutch and send me some pics. I will be happy to check them out and let you know what I see. I too find it interesting that some of you have a problem that is similar. However without even considering the possibility that there could be an issue with anything else you immediately assume that it is clutch related. Even though these cars are notorious for hydraulic issues that are known for causing inconsistent pedal and changes in engagement.

You mention "batch" related problems but we use the same friction material on every stage 3, be it for a Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, VW, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.....and I have had no other issues with stage 3's that mysteriously have increasingly higher engagement/release points.

As always I am happy to help any of you...I have shown this time and time again. I am not unreasonable and you all know this. I guess I just can't help but be amazed by the immediate assumption that any issue has to be the "clutch"! All I am asking is for you to look at your situation deductively...consider the possibilities and begin trouble-shooting. Or...do what I have always offered to have you do and pull the clutch and send me some pics of your assemblies and we can go from there. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

14,000 miles on my SPEC 3 w/ 17.4lb steel flywheel I bought on eBay and STOCK 1998 HYDRAULICS WITH 121K MILES. I used ARP bolts for the clutch and flywheel. It's been used and abused and seen the track plenty of times and it's never slipped a day in it's life. I think it's all in the driver. My buddy had a SPEC 3 with spec flywheel for 6k miles and it was toast, but he slipped it like a ************ taking off and used the clutch to hold him steady on a hill and used the clutch to downshift instead of rev-matching.

Learn how to drive a stick and I guarantee you your clutch life will sky-rocket.(This isn't directed at ANYBODY, just a general statement)
Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
I've said it once, I'll say it again, if you ever have an issue pull the clutch and send me some pics. I will be happy to check them out and let you know what I see. I too find it interesting that some of you have a problem that is similar. However without even considering the possibility that there could be an issue with anything else you immediately assume that it is clutch related. Even though these cars are notorious for hydraulic issues that are known for causing inconsistent pedal and changes in engagement.

You mention "batch" related problems but we use the same friction material on every stage 3, be it for a Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, VW, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.....and I have had no other issues with stage 3's that mysteriously have increasingly higher engagement/release points.

As always I am happy to help any of you...I have shown this time and time again. I am not unreasonable and you all know this. I guess I just can't help but be amazed by the immediate assumption that any issue has to be the "clutch"! All I am asking is for you to look at your situation deductively...consider the possibilities and begin trouble-shooting. Or...do what I have always offered to have you do and pull the clutch and send me some pics of your assemblies and we can go from there. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!!
Well mine is starting to slip in every gear now so i will be sending it back to you pretty soon. It will not engage at all untill my foot is 100% off the floor, my only problem is the car is my daily driver and I can't afford to pull the clutch, let the car sit just so you can look it over for me. If the clutch comes out it will because a new one is going right back in, and at this point I can't justify risking my time and money on another spec product. Once I get my new clutch in I will send the spec back to you.

Quick Reply: Spec Clutch Owners In Here......