Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Jam up going into 3rd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jam up going into 3rd gear?

I've got a Pro 5.0 which I installed the first week of January and have not had any shifting problems until about a week ago. I noticed an instant difference in shifting over stock... I love it. But now I have an issue shifting into 3rd just once everytime I drive the car for more than a couple miles.

For some reason, when I shift from 2nd to 3rd it feels like the shifter actually gets stuck on something. If I just let go of the shifter and try to put it into 3rd, it doesn't have an issue. From that point on I don't have an issue.

This only happens once every trip. I took my shift boot off today to clean, condition, and shorten it and I noticed that the grease in the shifter has actually become muddy. I'm hoping that just means it's a bit dirty but what do you guys think?

Old 05-20-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have an idea?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:06 AM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the shifter doesn't have anything to do with this unfortunately.
The grease will change color that is normal from use of the shifter.
The cadinumn coating wears off the pivot points at the base that is what you see in the grease=normal.
3rd gear issues are common, specially on stock/non-upgraded trans.
You are likely looking at a trans rebuild/upgrade soon.
Broze shift fork pads steel 3/4 fork,& billet slider keys are upgrades I'd suggest.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How long do you think I have? The damn car only has 62k on it. I really can't afford to be rebuilding the trans. I've got a wedding coming up in a little over a year and that is where my entire budget is going.

I can't imagine it's just going to start falling apart on me... or atleast I hope not. I just wish I had a spare car and then I could have my car down for a while if needed. I wouldn't mind it so much then.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:59 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you take it easy on 3rd it might be fine for a while.

If you keep banging gears it's toast.
If it grinds in every shift only into 3rd you know time is short.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay. I don't have any actual grinds so I should be fine. It doesn't even grind going into 3rd when it has the occasional issue.

I took it real easy on third today. I took my time to be sure the shifter was centered before trying to shift into the gear. I will just take my time. I can't say I've ever really "banged" any gears. I've raced it before but nothing too serious. Not a real race or anything, really just to feel how quick it is. I should be fine.

If the time comes, then so be it. I will have to get a rebuild kit and get a few fellow PA guys to help me drop the tranny.

Quick Reply: Jam up going into 3rd gear?