Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

03 Clutch assembly in our car to eliminate the Hydraulic JUNK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 03 Clutch assembly in our car to eliminate the Hydraulic JUNK!!!

I happen to work at a Ford dealership. I noticed when my customer brought in his 03 Cobra and we had it on the lift I (the king of clutch probs lately) had a brain fart. I looked up and I noticed that the 03 Cobra still has a cable clutch quadrant and from what I understand it works very similarly to the old mustangs. It has a arm that the cable connects too, and pivots on a roller ball that while holding the Throw out bearing. The 03 Cobra has a 11.5in clutch disc as well as ours. I don't know if I'll really have the resources to go much further with this other than trying to find someone with a Cobra apart already or someone at my work that can tell me more about it. I do know that a quote from the one gentleman at SVT said he didnt want the Cobra to leave till they knew it could withstand 1000 hard clutch dumps over and over till it would fail if then. After driving one of the Cobras man that is a snappy clutch. I would dump my POS hydraulic system in a heartbeat for a smooth clutch cable any day. If anyone else has any info please let us all know. I do know that the only complaint with the 03 Cobra Ive heard is that the clutch is stiff. I'll agree it sends me back to the ole Centerforce clutch I had in my 5.0 but hey that sucker took some real abuse and never died. I would believe the tuff part would be finding out if you can change the bell housiing or the end part of the trans that connects to the trans and maybe the flywheel. Thank you post through.

<small>[ October 24, 2002, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Zturd ]</small>
Old 10-24-2002, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

Default Re: 03 Clutch assembly in our car to eliminate the Hydraulic JUNK!!!

It would be fairly involved to change over, you'd need a mechanical arm for the bellhousing (not happening, too short for a pivot ball) and then set up a pedal assembly. It is a great system on the mustang though, definitely easier to work with.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Stick only:
<strong>It would be fairly involved to change over, you'd need a mechanical arm for the bellhousing (not happening, too short for a pivot ball) and then set up a pedal assembly. It is a great system on the mustang though, definitely easier to work with.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The mechanical arm is on the end part of the trans like the LT1 from what i can understand with a little bit of the ole 5.0L system in there. Thats where the pivot ball is. The pedal assembly may be the kicker of it all. Dunno I'm gonna slide in there tomorrow and take some pics of it and check her out. I would like to end my nightmare with clutchs in this car now.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

The LT1's used a pull style diaphragm clutch that is worse than the one in our LS1's. No way to come up with a higher static pressure unit. We have one that is 130 lbs higher pressure than stock, but thats about it. Tried many discs in them and all seem to chatter alot...