Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcloud master POS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mcloud master POS!!!!

Ok, when i installed it about year ago it always leaked down a little, but it wasnt bad, then about a month ago it got so bad i couldnt even drive the car, so i got a rebuild kit and fixed it. The seal had a bad spot in it that was allowing the fluid to leak back by, so i never lost any fluid, so i knew it was the master seal. So after i fix it with the rebuild kit it works awsome for about 2 weeks, then the problem starts again and its getting worse each day. Im thinking its somthing in the bore of the master causeing the seal to go bad, but when i rebuilt it, it was completely smooth in there, so idk.

I think what im goin to do is rebuild it one more time and see if i cant resolve this problem, if not im chunking the master and gettin a new one!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:26 PM
wrencher

A stocker made adjustable work fine too IMO.
but I have had more luck rebuilding the McLeod's by honing out the cylinder.
Get a wheel cylinder hone & re-dress the bore & the seal should last longer & eliminate any potential burr's.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, thats a good idea. I took some fine sand paper to it the first time so i know there werent any burr's, but i dont know if the cylinder is round or not. When i get back into it ill run a hone through it, and check to see if its round.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

use crocus cloth, it is like sand paper, but it is made for brake cylinders, and masters, it has a smoother pattern thus allowing a more even sand. pronouned KRO KIS available at any good tool store that sells specality parts, and I also recommend using a hone, and using the clotch to dress the flanges on the end, and any other tapers.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

thanks man, ill try and pick some up.

Ok, so this morning i called Mcleod to see if i can just get the cup seal insted of spendin $50 on a whole rebuild kit, and the guy said the ppl they get them from packege them up and send them too Mcleod like that and that they could sell me just that seal, but he gave me all the info about the seal so i can find another one, b/c he said it was common. Not much help from them on this call, which was about 10 mins after they opened this morning.

Then, I just got off the phone with'em again and i advise deal with the afternoon crew there b/c they gave me the part number of the seal and sent me out a new one free of charge! They said it was knocking my seal out b/c of a machining problem that they just found, ( dont let this change anyones mind about buying one b/c all there units they send out from there now get inspected) So im goin to take it back apart and fix this thing when i get that seal.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 PM
wrencher

Next time if you need just the seal, go get a 13/16"ths wheel cylind4er puck.

That is all the seal is on the mcleod master anyway.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

so the new mcleod master cylinders won't have problems anymore? i've heard a lot of bad things about them on here and how the holes scrape up the seals and cause hydraulic problems and leaks. if the new ones are fixed, this is great news!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We stopped ussing these masters 3-4 years ago. 90% of them had problems and we probly have 2-3 of them sitting on a shelf at the shop. I gave up on them,nothing permanently fixed them.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

so what master's are ppl using? i saw the gm ones i think available at new era..
Old 06-15-2007, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Thats what they said, where the threads are cut into the main body of the master is where they were messing up seals, but he said every master that leaves the shop goes though an inspection and they fix them if needed, they asked me if i wanted to send it to them, they would fix it free of charge, but its not worth it to me to ship it across the states when i can just fix it myself. So there sending me a new seal.
I love the master, at least when it works right.

So that seal is called a wheel cylinder puck? I was just calling it a cup seal, the tech at mcleod gave all the info so i could get another seal local, but iv searched the net and called everywhere and no one has it.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My master from 2001 is still doing well, I'm waiting on back ordered rebuild kits from TR but this is the first rebuild needed. 30K miles on it.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

I guess you were one of the lucky ones!
If you dont want to wait for TR to get it in, you could try getting it from Mcleod, but call in the evening!

Quick Reply: Mcloud master POS!!!!