Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

rebuilding T56 have a couple questions, pics included, 56k I dunno

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rebuilding T56 have a couple questions, pics included, 56k I dunno

Tore it down and I was presented with a pretty worn transmission, it's of unknown history out of a rolled car and had a 100,xxx miles when I got it, I've put about 25xxx more on it before 5th gear was hard to get into and it started popping out of first fairly often.

There were a few things that concerned me...

first is this groove on the mainshaftin the brown band. The pictures are a bit deceiving because the groove is the same color as the surrounding metal as opposed to being darker. It appears that it was made this way. My gut tells me this needs replaced, my wallet says it'll be alright though. Is this ok?

There is this odd discoloration on the mainshaft, it's copper to rust colored and smooth to the touch. Is this normal?

The shift links have some peculiar marks, almost looks like someone tried to weld on them, the texture is very rough.

For the last question, I really have no idea how to tell what I should be replacing and leaving as far as gear synchro teeth go. Ironically the synchro teeth on the gears I was having trouble with look fine, the synchro assemblies are just shot. Other gears that I wasn't having trouble with look questionable. Here are some pics of a gear that' I'm debating on replacing, you guys think I need to?

Last edited by v7guy; 06-20-2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-20-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've decided to not chance it and replace all gears except 4th which looks almost brand new. The mainshaft concerns me considering I can easily stick my fingernail in the groove so I'll get a take out for it.

All the bearings look fine, I'll press new ones on the mainshaft and plan to leave everything else alone.

Anyone know if it's possible to get billet keys for the other gears?

Anyone know about those marks on the shift links?

If anyone has some input I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay the mainshaft looks like it will be alright. The gears must be replaced if the synchro teeth on them are that worn. From the picture they are severly
Old 06-24-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any idea what is going on with that shift link?

Should I grind that texture off and throw it back in or just leave it alone?

Quick Reply: rebuilding T56 have a couple questions, pics included, 56k I dunno