Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinding 3rd...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grinding 3rd...

I'm grinding into 3rd during quick, high rpm shifts. Now it's always been a bit more difficult to get into 3rd, I used to have to hold it pushed aginst the gear for a half a second or so. Now it grinds for only a second, is this the syncros going out, or something more serious? Also, I have the 6 speed with the hurst emblem on top, what parts to I want to add to the shifter/stick? Thanks..
Old 05-05-2003, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Grinding 3rd...

If it only happens when your slamming it into gear I would wager to say its the synchro going bad. I had the same thing happen to my car with second gear. It would grind into second for me however at any RPM, just as long as I was slamming it into gear. Turned out my synchro was bad. I don't know what you mean by difficult to get into third. Third gear is a bit rough sometimes and I'm sure that almost all the M6 guys on the board have missed it more than a few times. I know that the later model M6s with the Getrag transmissions had problems with popping out of gear, if that's what you mean.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I wasn't aware Getrag built manual transmissions for our generation of cars. I thought Borg-Warner built them early on, then was bought out by Tremec.

I would say it's your syncro and/or blocking rings, btw.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's going in for a clutch, thanks I'll relay the info, but it does pop out of 4th somethimes. And, which shifter do I have (the stock **** with the hurst emblem)? What do I want to buy to help with quicker shifts? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your right, my bad. I meant to say Tremec, but for some reason typed Getrag. My apologies.

Quick Reply: Grinding 3rd...