Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

spec....search is worthless today

Old 07-07-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spec....search is worthless today

i recently did a heads/cam swap and now im finding out that the stock clutch just isnt enough. i have been looking into the spec stage II clutch .....ive heard that specs are pretty good clutches in general, but how are they in comparason to speed inc.'s ls7 clutch???...or...is there another route i could take....im trying to stay in the 350-400 range.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a SPEC II. It grabs much better than the oem z06 I have had. You must drive it differently than the oem clutch, in that you can not "slip it" or "ride it" as much as the oem clutch. You will get a little chatter until you master the correct amount of rpm/clutch release.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Proud2bSS
I have a SPEC II. It grabs much better than the oem z06 I have had. You must drive it differently than the oem clutch, in that you can not "slip it" or "ride it" as much as the oem clutch. You will get a little chatter until you master the correct amount of rpm/clutch release.

I agree with this. I only have the stage I but the same info applies. It grips so much better than stock there is no real slip its bite or not, but once you get used to it you will love it.

I'm on my second stage I and I'll buy another in 70,000 miles when this one dies
Old 07-08-2007, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

I have had both a SPEC 3 and an LS7 clutch. The LS7 clutch will behave just like the stock clutch with very smooth engagement and it will last longer. The SPEC 3 clutch will handle a little more power and is lighter but it is not as smooth of an engagement and will wear out much quicker. Either one will handle 450 RWHP just fine.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

get the stage 3+ its a full disc and i slip mine all the time with no problem
Old 07-09-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Disturbed Bird
get the stage 3+ its a full disc and i slip mine all the time with no problem
+1 on the 3+. It's a big difference from the 3 and will do all you need for many mods to come.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread boggles my mind... I hear you guys saying the Spec is great... but it seems 75% of the time people are trashing Spec clutches...

I personally have heard too many horror stories to go with a Spec clutch... I've been through 5 clutches on my car and it finally hit me... "You get what you pay for"

I recommend just biting the bullet and forking out more for one of the nicer clutches, otherwise you will be spending the same amount if not more switching clutches in and out in a short period of time...
Old 07-09-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

its all on how you intall it and if you get a new fly wheel, make sure it balanced right and if its flat

Search this Thread