Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Possible Torque Converter Clutch issues need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible Torque Converter Clutch issues need help!

I have A Yank PT4000e converter. I just wired up a manual lock-up switch with the expectation of regaining some driveline efficiency. The torque converter normally stalls around 5600rpm at WOT.(footbrakes 3300+) With the lock-up switch activated, the converter still stalls around 5000rpm WOT. I thought with the clutch locked up torque translation was suppose to be 1:1. I did a little bit of research and most everything I read says it is 1:1 while locked up. The only thing is nothing was specific about when this occurs. By this I mean, does the 1:1 occur at any rpm or after converter lock-up speed. If anyone can shed some light on my situation and/or alleviate any misconceptions I have I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if there is something wrong with my TCC what could have caused it and what can I do about it? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:06 PM
JTM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Possible Torque Converter Clutch issues need help!

You shouldn't lock up your converter before you take off, you lock it up in the top end to gain mph.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5000 seems high, but what did you calculate your expected lock-up rpm to be? Did you verify the slip with ATAP?

Normally you can hear a slipping clutch if it is not holding.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

I haven't put the autotap on it yet. A friend was borrowing my laptop and I just got it back. Does the TCC make a specific noise when splipping or does it just sound like the car is stalling up a little bit?
Old 05-15-2003, 06:27 AM
On The Tree

blubird,

The ratio between the crack and the input shaft is 1:1 when the converter is lock-up provided that the clutch is not slipping. You do know a single clutch converter WILL NOT handle many WOT passes down the track. What gear(s) are locking up the TC in? What kind of HP and Torque do you have?

Kevin Steele
TCI
Product Engineer
Old 05-15-2003, 07:28 AM
Restricted User

I thought that it will not lock up in 1st at all, but it will in 2nd. Also it should be locked at the top of 2nd gear. Kevin, can the TCI Competition 4400 be locked up or no??? Is it a multi disk?
Old 05-15-2003, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

I don't know what kind of hp/tq numbers my car puts down, but I just updated my sig with most recent track times. I have a yank converter, and they claim you are suppose to be able to lock it up at wide open throttle(kevlar clutch material). I tried locking the converter up at the top of second and through third, but the car didn't like that very much it threw a service engine light.

Quick Reply: Possible Torque Converter Clutch issues need help!