Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Recommended course of action

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommended course of action

So i slamemd my shifter into 3rd at the track and now my car wont go into third unless i forcefully hold the shifter forward (once its engaged, it stays in though). 4th popped out a few times too. Is there any problem with driving the car like this as long as i stay out of 3rd gear?

I am going to repair this myself, what do you suggest?

I got schematics and stuff.

Im gonna be out of town for a bit so ill have to wait like a week to pull the trans. Should i order a shift fork and slider keys or should i take apart the tranny first then overnight the parts? Any other things i should do while i have it apart? I am gonna upgrade the parts so that this sort of thing doesnt happen again.

Im planning on getting a textralia clutch while it is out and drill mod (havent found out whether i want light or heavy flywheel though)
Old 07-17-2007, 07:53 AM
wrencher

If you have the rebuild manual you have to inspect the internal componets per the manual as well. Your gonna need a puller with a 18" to 24" reach at least.
You may need to replace other parts after this inspection.
I would suggest blocker ring set, billet 3/4 sliders keys & bronze shift fork pads.
Manual;
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-56.asp
Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

He may not need the puller if his mainshaft is wearing down. My 5-6 driven came off no problem. Others, I've had to use a puller.

You can probably get the slider keys replaced without removing the 3-4 slider assembly, but it'll be a pain in the rear. I find it a lot easier to remove the 3-4 slider assembly and put it all together, and then put it back.

You'll really want to take the trans apart and see what might need replacing. It's pretty common to see slider teeth that are all chewed up... and helpful to replace them. You might have other parts broken as well.

I'd add a set of snap rings to wrencher's list above. They're cheap, and you don't have to worry about boogering up your old ones (which, odds are, you'll booger up 1 or 2 of them).

A press and bearing splitter are very helpful for removing the 3-4 slider gear. You'll at least need a bearing splitter for that.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

How extensive is this tranmission repair. What im asking is, do i have to take apart pretty much everything or is it just a certain section i have to work on?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

Thought i would update ya guys on it.
Rebuilt my trans, did the work myself which was a mistake. Sure i mightve saved a grand or two, but it took a LOT out of me. Wasn't too complicated but it def took about 5 tries to get it all right.

The plastic fork pads on 3,4 were melted which was the only problem. One of them on 1,2 was slightly bad too. I ended up replacing the fork pads on every gear with bronze ones. I changed the slider keys on 3,4 with billet ones that are supposed to be a lot strongers, upgraded to a steel 3,4 shift fork, and a couple other small things.

In addition, i put in a textralia clutch, steel billet flywheel, drill mod, bled my hyydraulics. I bought a new slave cylinder from gm but it wouldnt hold any pressure so i just threw my old one back in for now.

Here's a pic of my poor fork pads:

Trans feels great, the clutch grabs, and the shifts have a more notchy feeling from the harder parts inside.