Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch engagement question, swapped vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch engagement question, swapped vehicle

Hey y'all...I swapped an LS1/T56 into my fox mustang and overall it runs good but the clutch is giving me fits. It slips at anything over part-throttle after the car basically heats up. The clutch seems to engage towards the top of the pedal-travel, but other than the slippage goes into all gears quite easily. It's a SPEC clutch, not sure which stage but it's a regular-looking disk (not a ceramic puck clutch or anything too crazy). It looked ok when I installed the engine (read: used) but evidently it's not. When I bled the hydraulics I did get fluid inside the bellhousing, which of course drained out over the course of a day. Could this be the only thing causing the slippage? It seems from searching that typical symptoms of improper hydraulic setups are difficulty getting the clutch to disengage, whereas mine seems to grab right away. It just slips! More or less I was just fishing for some confirmation that it's very likely time to swap a fresh clutch in. My hydraulics are all new, but I'm using a wilwood master cylinder (specs out to the exact same requirements of the GM stocker) but otherwise the slave is GM factory. The lines are all -4 and there was no need to "drill mod" the lines or fittings.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a new clutch if it slips.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swapped in the LS7 clutch and that was definitely the problem. Clutch grabs great, only thing is it smells a little when I'm driving along. I've only put about 45 miles on it so far though, so maybe that's the issue?