Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stage 3 Install... Bang... help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, I am actually amazed that the answer that comes to mind hasn't been mentioned yet. Especially on a forum where it has been discussed at length. I'll give you a few minutes to think about it.

(Insert Final Jeopardy theme here)
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
Ok contestants...time is up!

Though it is possible that this is related to a loose bolt it is also potentially chatter. This is not terribly incommon with a stage 3 clutch and it would occur when the unit reaches the take-up point. Because the clutch is performing properly then missing bolts is unlikely. Check your mounts and other external fasteners. If all is good and the car shifts fine then put some miles on it and let me know if you experience anything else. Thanks!!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Launching!

I'm still betting on torque arm mount bolt. My buddy's rattled out about a month after his clutch install and on the take off there was a loud bang that you could feel in the shifter and then it drove fine. You could see how the torque arm was scraping on his TSP true dual exhaust when it would go up and hit the tunnel.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks alot guys- getting new trans mount and torque arm mount to hopefully solve the problem. I probably need to replace them whether or not it is the problem since the car has 102,xxx miles.

When it's all done i'll be sure to let you all know what the problem was.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i installed one of those clutches and it ate apart my trans mount. my car only had 50k on it at the time. its gonna vibrate like hell for the first 1k miles but give it a chance. if you broke your stock mount that quickly, you probably have no choice
Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98z6speed
Thanks alot guys- getting new trans mount and torque arm mount to hopefully solve the problem. I probably need to replace them whether or not it is the problem since the car has 102,xxx miles.

When it's all done i'll be sure to let you all know what the problem was.

yes definitely post up and good luck!