Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch making a wierd noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch making a wierd noise

Several weeks ago, I had a new clutch put in the car. IT was a Spec III carbon. New clutch, flywheel and pressure plate. I was told 400 miles, no wot's, no clutch dumps, just to baby the clutch. Well, I;ve done that and now I have 525 miles on this clutch that has been babied, and boy has that been hard. Since the beginning, I've had quite a bit of chatter in first and reverse. That's typical. However, over the last 75 miles, when I back out of the garage, or just start out in first gear, I get this noise when letting out on the clutch that sounds like a squeek, more like a long squelch, like two surfaces rubbing together. It's kind of hard to explain. I know it's the clutch. I talked to the guys over at APE and they thought it was just breaking in. Tonight, I even hear the noise downshifting from third to second. Anybody else have this kind of noise happen and if so, how did you fix it. Kind of embarassing when your pulling into a parking spot and you get this squeel.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Clutch making a wierd noise

If I were you I would get an adjustable master cylinder. Many guys have issues with the stock master not being able to travel enough to fully disengage the clutch. If this happens it will destroy your synchros, trans gears...everything in the trans.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I were you I would get an adjustable master cylinder. Many guys have issues with the stock master not being able to travel enough to fully disengage the clutch. If this happens it will destroy your synchros, trans gears...everything in the trans.
Thats a good point, I've read some say that their clutch engages an inch or so off of the floor. It seems mine is almost all the way to the top before it engages. It just doesn't seem right.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

Do yourself a favor and get an adjustable master from either RAM or MCLEOUD.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Spec III ceramic was also making a "squeak" for a split second on takeoff for a few days but has since stopped. I'm running a new slave with the old master and it is working fine. It's been flawless at the track and has no more chatter with 1400 miles on it. If I were you , with 525 miles, I would stop babying it. I had mine at the track with 600 miles on the odometer.