Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Single, Double, Triple plated clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single, Double, Triple plated clutch?

What is the general difference between why someone might use a double or triple plated clutch as opposed to a single? Are the double and triple for mostly strip use? I need a new clutch for my 02ls1 and I'm getting confused by single, double and triple.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The amount of torque that a clutch will hold is proportional to the area of the friction surface and to the force applied by the pressure plate (among other factors). Because there are practical limits to the pressure plate force, it may be better to increase the total friction area by adding extra discs when higher torque capacity is needed. A disadvantage of multiple-disc clutches is higher cost. Commonly available single disc clutches will easily hold 600-700 ft-lbs so you shouldn't need a multi-disc clutch.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The twins have a a few advantages over a single. They usually hold more torque levels like 800 ft pounds plus on some of them. Also they usually have pretty reasonable pedal pressure compared to many strong single disc clutches.

They can be very streetable depending on discs you get with them. Some advertise like fidanza or mcleod street twin. My tex is pretty hard core with the discs it came with .They are metallic/ceramic one sprung and one not sprung and puck style.
But now with about 1000 miles on it I can do light and medium traffic no problem. Heavy is still not that fun and slow maneuvers like going onto drive on hoist is a bit tricky. Tex now has more street discs though that fit in the twin. So if get really annoyed by it going to swap some of those in.They are carbon/kevlar full faces sprung dsics. Much more heavy traffic friendly.
Also some twins like mine have some floater rattle when you push in clutch. It gets a bit quieter when the car is warm and stereo or cutout drowns it out pretty easily but it is a bit noisy. I heard its quieter with the street discs in there.

So its mostly a question of your power. up to 400 or so hp most singles will be fine, even maybe the ls7. I think if you are looking on going north of 600 or so rwhp then its time to maybe look at twin and over 1000 rwhp maybe a triple.
I am shooting for maybe 850 rwhp but mostly be likely at 600 or so. I was sort of in between what most of the singles can do and the next step up.
Buddy recently did a spec 3. Its pedal pressure is heavier than my twin disc. Pretty firm actually. But found it very driveable in pretty much any traffic. Its quiet as singles have no floater rattle. And it should hold some good power. He is around 420engine hp.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gary Z
The amount of torque that a clutch will hold is proportional to the area of the friction surface and to the force applied by the pressure plate (among other factors). Because there are practical limits to the pressure plate force, it may be better to increase the total friction area by adding extra discs when higher torque capacity is needed. A disadvantage of multiple-disc clutches is higher cost. Commonly available single disc clutches will easily hold 600-700 ft-lbs so you shouldn't need a multi-disc clutch.

Good answer!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:57 AM
11 Second Club

I'm a noob too about clutches, the triple discs will hold 1000+? R those a pain to street drive? My exedy twin slips when hot on a track, will the triples do the same? Im guessing they prolly chatter alot more too (my exhaust is so loud, thats last on my list to care about)

Quick Reply: Single, Double, Triple plated clutch?