Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New rebuilt T56 Grinds New 4th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have issues somewhere and something is being over looked ........
Old 10-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

man, i am having a very similar issue right now. I just had my mechanic install a new flywheel/clutch assembly on my 01 zo6 and now it grinds 4th. It only grinds in 4th. all the other gears seem fine. I dont think my clutch is dragging. wouldnt it grind every other gear if it was? When i downshift from 5th to 4th it doesnt grind. it only grinds from 3rd to 4th. If i double clutch between the 3-4 shift, it wont grind either. So right now im stumped/pissed/depressed over the whole situation. Im gonna see if draining my tranny fluid (royal purple) and switching to amsoil will help any.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Banned

4th gear grinds are typically an input shaft alignment issue (bad pilot bearing or related issue) but can be caused by a worn ring and or 3/4 shift fork issue as well .
Old 10-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

what throws me off though is that I used to have a grind in first gear. I took the tranny apart, replaced the 1st gear syncro, along with the sliders, etc.. on everything. (all gears). Didnt have a grinding problem ever again after that. Then I put a heads/cam setup on the car. started making the ls7 clutch stick to the floor. I dumped that setup over this past weekend and had a ram clutch setup installed, and coincidentally, my 4th gear grinds now. Never grinded before the clutch change so im stumped. Im starting to think that it can possibly be the clutch dragging. I havent tested that out yet though. Im gonna try tomorrow by pushing the clutch in and revving it to like 4-5k rpm in 1st, and if it creeps forward, its probably dragging the clutch then. i noticed that it is noticeably harder to go into reverse since the clutch swap this past weekend. Thats why im starting to think the clutch is dragging or maybe there is air in the line? I dunno. Im gonna bleed the clutch also just in case.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Launching!

I have heard of clutches being to heavy and the syncros cant stop the shaft from moving in time for the shift causing grinds, its real bad on high horse power cars/
Old 10-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by we_todd_did
I have heard of clutches being to heavy and the syncros cant stop the shaft from moving in time for the shift causing grinds, its real bad on high horse power cars/
i'm making quite a bit of power, but what throws me off is why it does it from 3rd to 4th only. it doesnt do it in any other gear, and doesnt do it on downshift from 5th to 4th.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

Holy LOL

I have been working with Amber at Six speeds inc & Jarrod at Textralia.
I am going to try the Mcleod Adj Master (carefully adjusted) to see if it will fix my problem. I should have it installed by Tuesday.

If it does work not I am going to have to pull the tranny & the clutch again and send it to them.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Old, old, thread I know, but I am having the same issue after a rebuild.

Anyone know what the issue Turned out to be?

Quick Reply: New rebuilt T56 Grinds New 4th Gear