Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 repair help

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T56 repair help

Ok, my T56 is pretty much useless at this point in time. What I am looking for is some guidance on what is the most possible cause of the problems I am having. I would like to get the tranny fixed soon, so I am thinking of having it done local with parts I will order from SixSpeedsInc. What I don't want is too get taken advantage of because I have no idea what does what in the tranny. So here goes with the issues, I will state them in the order they have happened: A wierd 1-2 shift resulted in a grind 1 day, ever since its been very difficult to downshift into 2nd gear, i would have to line the shifter up by pressing in the clutch and shifting into first then back into 2nd. Soon after that, my car started popping out of 3rd gear upon deceleration...not all the time, but often enough to irritate me. I was having a problem with my LS6 clutch slipping, so I replaced it with a Textralia clutch(which is awesome BTW) replaced the shifter with the Hurst Billet deal, drill mod, and new hydraulics. Occasionally at the track I would have an issue with the transmission just not wanting to go into gear at high RPM shifts. The shifts became much stiffer as well, slowing down how quickly I can shift...felt kinda like I had to actually force it to go into gear. Now to the present, I was at the track and the car decided that it no longer wanted to go into Reverse...it will go, but you really have to force it. I went to drive home, and now it doesnt really wanna go into any gear. Is this tranny completely trashed or what? Lets hear your input.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

t56 rebuilds aka six speed inc., rebuild time.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Banned

Sounds like the clutch to me . I'm sure there are items worn in the trans and could use a freshen up but the majority of your complaint is the clutch .
Old 09-23-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thesource
Sounds like the clutch to me . I'm sure there is items worn in the trans and could use a freshen up but the majority of your complaint is the clutch .
Really? The clutch has only a few thousand miles and seems to be working great. Awesome pedal pressure, clean fluid, no slipping at all. What could be wrong with the clutch to do all that?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

Might need to be bled . Most of the time you have issues getting the trans into 1st or reverse its a clutch issue . Your specific complaints sound clutch related to me .

And when your clutch gives issues , it can create excessive issues with the transmission . Its a shame GM used this POS clutch system in the cars but no smarter than using a 10 bolt from an S10 in there either .
Old 09-23-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i just bled the clutch using the MityVac and no air bubbles came out. I really don't know what the issue could be. The fluid looked like new as well, and was still full so apparently there arent any leaks. I am about tired of the T56 issues, Ill be looking into a Th350/400 swap soon if the problems continue.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned

Sometime the systems can be a real bitch to bleed . Ford uses the same basic system in their F150 and Ranger trucks and has been since 1988 . Some of them bleed real easy while others are a pain in the *** . I remember when I was younger letting trucks leave and the customer calling back a few hours or even days later complaining about the pedal . We'd spend hours sometimes bleeding them out . Did they install a shim under the slave cylinder ?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thesource
Sometime the systems can be a real bitch to bleed . Ford uses the same basic system in their F150 and Ranger trucks and has been since 1988 . Some of them bleed real easy while others are a pain in the *** . I remember when I was younger letting trucks leave and the customer calling back a few hours or even days later complaining about the pedal . We'd spend hours sometimes bleeding them out . Did they install a shim under the slave cylinder ?
I know they are a complete pain to bleed, I had many hydraulic issues while chasing a problem down with the LS6 clutch. The problem then turned out to be that the clutch was slipping at high RPM and boiling the fluid. I change my fluid about 3 times a month because I was told this is regular maintenance on these cars. No shim was used under the slave, and this clutch and new hydraulics has seemed to work great. Also on a side note, when i go to put it in reverse... its like it just doesnt go in all the way, and the transmission will just continue to grind. For the forward gears to go in you have to move the shifter back and forth from gear to gear to make it go, and it shifts and actually goes into gear when the car is moving, when parked it will not. When the car is not running it will not go into gear pretty much at all.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After further inspection I believe it is some sort of clutch issue like stated. The clutch doesn't seem to be disengaging completely. If I have the clutch pedel pressed in and rev the car, it moves forward.... I have now bled the system multiple times, with no air coming out. Fluid is still clean, full, and doesn't appear to be leaking. Does this sound like a mechanical clutch issue or a hydraulic problem? I would like to get this fixed asap.