Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How do you tell If Clutch Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post How do you tell If Clutch Bad?

OK so my car is a 2000 WS6 with 6 spd. 56,000miles and it feels different ever since I got on it a little and went through 2-4 gears up to 100MPH. I dont beat on it too much at all thats the most i ever did to it. i easied into it when i was in 2nd and went to 3rd and to 4th now the pedal feels a lil different.
I didnt powershift because i dont want to miss shift and let alone i think i woulldnt be able to because no short shifter, and i think its hard to shift fast enough too. before if i let out not perfectly the front of the car would bounce a lil specialy when cold start. now it feels like it shifts smoother.
You think the clutch could of had carbon or something built up because the kid i bought it from claims he doesnt beat on his cars and under the rear fenders it was clean like he didnt smoke the hell out of the tires. So how long do clutchs last? the car moves without gas when i release the clutch very slow. I did only one burnout since owning the car and it was under 2000rpm. so like i said i dont beat on it but it feels good but i dont no if it is because this is the first Stick shift i ever owned. thanks sorry to write a story lol. also give me some examples of how to tell if its bad. thanks again.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

generally, if its BAD it will slip in 5th when you nail it. You might have heated the fluid up some, or boiled it if you got the clutch too hot. I wouldn't worry unless it gets worse and starts sliping noticably.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm... i dont even no what it feels like if it was slipping. I feel like the clutch feels good but its different from before. I dont beat on it. I think everytime i get in it, it now feels different from when i got it. is there such a thing as babying it enough that it builds up something on the clutch. it just scares me a little. I pay 350 a month on the car lol. And i plan to save my income tax return for a clutch if it goes bad. I need to put my car away for the winter any way, not too soon but i want to make sure if its the problem or i am going crazy lol. is there a way to test it?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Slippinng is easily noticable by the engine RPM's rising rising rapidly but the car not accelerating any faster.
So for instance you are going up a hill at like 1800RPM in 5th gear or six will work for this check too. Floor the gas pedal. If the car starts picking up speed at a slow-decent rate and the RPM's match proportionally the speed your at then the clutch is probably not slipping, BUT if the engine RPM's shoot up super fast at a certain point and are not proportional to the speed your at then your clutch is slipping(can't hold the power of the motor).

If I am not mistaken there is also another way to check your clutch, by putting your car in either second or third gear and seeing if it will stall out at a stop. If it doenst stall the motor easily then you will need a new clutch because its slipping. Try the first idea though before this because I am not 100% positive on this one.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK i did the 5th gear floor at like 35MPH and it doesnt slip at all seems fine. Maybe the clutch was glazed? is that a possiblilty. seems normal but you know what i just bought new sneakers maybe its that lol. thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

My rear main is leaking. I can get about 30% on the throttle in 6th before it starts slipping.