Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 clutch problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is making some noise...not sure if its because its being broken in or was installed incorrectly..
Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Krab
Care to elaborate? It would be greatly appreciated.
I've had really bad vibrations, shifting problems (especially in 1st and reverse) and other hydrolic problems.. with all new components down to the pilot bearing. I also rushed the job, so I could of done something wrong.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have and like the Ls7/LS2 setup. It handled a few 5000+ dumps on MT ET Street Radials fine, but I try to be a bit more gentle usually as my car weighs almost 4000 and has the stock 10 bolt.

Key is:
New slave... just do it, it would suck to have to reinstall in a few months if the 'good' slave fails later
New master, if you do not have the 2001/2002 model already
Drill mod the master hose
Bleed the assembly OFF the car... yes, you WILL have to remove the master from the car (gotta take it out to replace or do drill mod anyway), both parts together
Install all parts spotless clean.

Mine was slightly low pedal at first, and dead on after a day or so. Had to do NO bleeding on the car.

It does rev abit slower; the heavy flywheel helps a lot launching and doesn't seem to be a problem at all in 'spirited driving'. Full on road race might want a light flywheel... but if you street or drag heavy is nice.

As for 175 shot and 6k launches - yeah you need to spend a bit more and go dual disk or Textralia or the like. (Or T400 / 4L80E if you intend to beat it that hard regularly)
Old 10-08-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm actually on a 20k mile spec 3 clutch right now. I've already got the upgraded hydraulics (but I will be getting a new slave for the new clutch), drill mod has been done, insulated line running to the tranny, etc.

renxwar: If you find out what the source of the problem is anytime soon, I'd be really interested in hearing about it.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

i have had mine in for a while. was dumping the clutch at 5500 with the set up in sig, im gonna try more rpm and less tire psi next time i go. no problems from mine
Old 10-10-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I have noticed in alot of the threads with people having issues they either messed with the master or just didn't install it correctly.

My car is a 99' & when I installed my clutch my master was working fine, so I left it alone. Removed my stock clutch & slave, my pilot bearing was still good too so we left it alone & then just installed the LS7/LS2 combo just like a OEM clutch. No suprises & very straight forward install. Bled it with a mityvac & haven't touched it since.
I will be buying this clutch in the near future too...
Old 10-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Scammer Alert!

Mine is getting put in as we speak, either pick it up tonight or tomorrow, i replaced slaved, throwout bearing, bought ls7 clutch kit, and am getting my fluids changed and doing the drill mod also did the roller pilot bearing, ill let you guys know
Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 AM
TECH Addict

Doing mine this afternoon. Not touching the master cylinder.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

I"m guessing these just engage closer to the floor due to the pressure plate design? I like mine, just getting used to pushing the clutch pedal in completely.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about high RPM dumps on N2O, just have not had negative feedback at all.... we have installed many, many LS7/LS2 combinations and have not had one come back. Not one. We have them in high H/P combinations with big shots of N2O and they are living just fine.

In fact that is the single performance clutch I recommend to my customers for their street / track cars. It is made by LUK. LUK designs and manufactures clutches for automobile manufacturers around the world, and have for a very, very long time. They are made with high quality components.

Hope that helps.

g
Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Teching In

I got an LS7 clutch/LS2 flywheel kit, a new slave, and a new master cylinder put in my car last week....got a call from the mechanic saying that my setup doesn't work, so i went to investigate.....

My car goes into gear just fine with the car off, pressure is great on the pedal, a little stiff, but it's a brand new clutch. I can start the car, sounds fine, but then even with the clutch pushed all the way in, i cant get into ANY gear...it doesnt even grind, i just cant get it in gear.....the mechanic said he bled the system twice, and seems to think i got the wrong flywheel and wants to put the stock one back in....i'm thinkin NOOOO. I'm pretty sure it's something else, i just don't know what to tell him....all i've told him to do right now is get in and run part numbers to make sure i got the right stuff from Scoggin-Dickey....(p.s. the mechanic is a friend of my dad's and is cheap...not necessarily the smartest guy in the world when it comes to ls1's...he asked me more questions than i asked him about the initial setup....)

Can someone please tell me what they think could be wrong????
Old 10-15-2007, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

can you get it in gear when the car is off?
get it in gear then start the car, and try to move.

btw the stock fly wheel wont work with the ls7 disk
Old 10-15-2007, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mustang=breakfast
I got an LS7 clutch/LS2 flywheel kit, a new slave, and a new master cylinder put in my car last week....got a call from the mechanic saying that my setup doesn't work, so i went to investigate.....

My car goes into gear just fine with the car off, pressure is great on the pedal, a little stiff, but it's a brand new clutch. I can start the car, sounds fine, but then even with the clutch pushed all the way in, i cant get into ANY gear...it doesnt even grind, i just cant get it in gear.....the mechanic said he bled the system twice, and seems to think i got the wrong flywheel and wants to put the stock one back in....i'm thinkin NOOOO. I'm pretty sure it's something else, i just don't know what to tell him....all i've told him to do right now is get in and run part numbers to make sure i got the right stuff from Scoggin-Dickey....(p.s. the mechanic is a friend of my dad's and is cheap...not necessarily the smartest guy in the world when it comes to ls1's...he asked me more questions than i asked him about the initial setup....)

Tell him if he installed it correctly it just need to be bled more. This isn't the first time a simple minded mechanic tried to tell someone on this board this clutch doen't work in our cars.

I bled mine from the top with the mityvac, not the traditional method. Worked fine for me & I initially had the exact same problem as you.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm considering this clutch myself. So does this kit include all parts??
Old 10-16-2007, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

ls7 clutch disk
ls2 flywheel
piliot bearing
master clyinder
slave clyinder
Old 10-16-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Dumb question, but did your mechanic install the clutch disk correctly (facing the correct way)? When doing my first clutch install, this is the mistake I made (I know, I know...) and I had very similar symptoms to the ones you're describing. Car would start, but not go into gear, pedal pressure felt good, would go in gear when car was off, etc. Hope you find the source of the problem.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is either an installation error of the clutch disc or the fact that the tech is not patient enough with the bleeding of the hydrulics. I doubt very seriously there is a parts issue.

g

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch problems?