Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Experts (rebuilders) Inside Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 Experts (rebuilders) Inside Please!

Okay... Im attempting to rebuild a trashed T-56 and I need a few questions answered. My first question is related to the synchronizer assemblies:

1. What makes a synchro "bad?" From what I can see, the actual part that the slider contacts with the synchro looks to be in good working order; I see know excessive wear, or chunks of metal missing etc.

My next question relates to the actual gears themselves.

2. How much wear on the clutch teeth constitutes a bad gear? For instance, I was inspecting 5 & 6 (not the driven gears), and the clutch teeth seem a little worn, but overall, aren't rounded. On a few of the teeth, there are some little pit marks, but that's about it. If need be, I can take some pictures of the gears, and you guys can tell whether or not the gears are good.

Finally, when I first bought my 2000 SS, the tranny wasn't working properly, so the dealership fixed it. Since that "fix," I had never been able to downshift from 5/6 to 3rd without a slight grind. After reading the repair order, it looks like he only replaced some blocker rings and a couple of synchros.

3. My question is, if the sliders / clutch teeth on related gears are worn out, then is it pretty much useless to only replace blockers and synchronizer assemblies? I'm thinking YES, it is useless because if the sliders / clutch teeth are warn out, it would still shift like crap even with new blockers & synchros

Please let me know your thoughts. This is the first time I've ever worked on a tranny, and I've been really trying to follow the T-56 PDF manual.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Default Re: T-56 Experts (rebuilders) Inside Please!

Someone, please gimme some advice here...
Old 06-06-2003, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have seen 'repaired' trannys with brand new synchros, but worn out slider gears - not work very well at all (as in, guy still complains "tough to get in to third gear" - well duh, the slider gear 'cutting edge' is flattened!).

Repairs like this are just trying to be cheap about it. The sliders are $149 each - you can't just buy the ring, you have to buy the whole assembly (which sucks). I replaced my 1-2 slider in my tranny, and it sure needed it.

On my 79Z, the sliders can be purchased as just the ring, and they're $39 each. I wish they'd do that for the T56...

-Andrew
Old 06-07-2003, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The synchros are bad when there is no wear gap. This is the distance between the cone face and the bloker ring face.020 inch is a serviceable gap . Less / replace. The synchro sleeve/ rings are matched to the hubs for fit. That's why youn can't get them separately.You're right - if the gears are worn and you don't change them, you will not be doing the job on the repair. The pitting you describe sounds like excessive wear. If you can get pics. I could better tell the wear level.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Thanks so much... when I get my camera back, I'll post some pics.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:06 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

hey question I saw your posting on the t56 and want to know are there any upgraded parts for the t56 that make it more durable i.e. the t56 viper parts?just curious you seem to know a decent amount about t56 after reading one of your posts any help is appriciated.