Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

my experience with G FORCE Transmission parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:48 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation my experience with G FORCE Transmission parts

Well last July I switched to GForce Transmission's 1200hp capable gearset. Since I have put their parts in my transmission I have had 3 failures in the transmission.

When I first ordered their parts, I did receive them in the time frame promised. I was happy about that. However there were no oiling grooves machined in 3rd gear I believe, it might have been 4th gear. also I had to run around to local machine shops to have it machined for the oil grooves AND more importantly the one face on 3rd gear had not been machined down to the proper height. Thank you very much. needless to say that was quite the frickin' pain in the rear, as I had someone drive over from the states just to do my rebuild on the transmission! I had to send him back home only to come back another day!

First episode was after 12 or so passes on the car last November, 3rd gears decided to break into 5 pieces. Root Cause for the failure was the weld broke and caused quite some problems. There was collateral damage as well. At least one other gear had to be replaced. I have details of that in another letter I can dig up.

What I thought could be considered a good corrective action was to cryo and mikronite all of the new components, I went to Liberty transmissions for this service. That was almost $500, I figured it would be a good investment considering the power level I am at, I DON'T take shortcuts.

So GFORCE replaced the the damaged components and provided new parts for the parts damaged due to collateral damage. Unfortunately when 3rd gear let go at the track, as it did on the bottle, motor spun to 7500 with the bottle on and no load on the motor as 3rd gear sat in the bottom of my case. how do you think the piston ring lands liked that bit of exercise.

So trans goes back together, it is spring 07, I participate in Hot Rod PGD, Pinks All Out, and then Milan Dragway Friday night races = 10 total passes (6 on motor, 4 on the bottle) well, would you believe my trans would not shift anymore! WTF!!!! I could only get it into 1st gear. pull trans, tear it down, the weld on 3rd gear was coming apart...again! so G FORCE hogged it out and put a larger weld in it for this repair. at this point car is down yet again, and G FORCE is back ordered on parts. I had to pay for 2 new gears as they had cracked teeth after a whole 10 passes! hmm quality material/processing controls I say! they flipped me some new fluid for the trans, and did provide me a discount on the parts I had to buy. another $500 invested plus shipping, lol! G FORCE did provide parts to me in three weeks.

At this point I do some homework and decided to face plate the transmission as well. not a cheap venture but it seemed to be the next best upgrade, I just wanted to drive the car. I bought the components from Liberty and had Six Speed Inc. do the faceplating. so another $1k later trans is ready to go back together, not including the other $500 and other incidentals. I also had twisted splines on the input shaft from G FORCE so I had a custom input shaft made. put the trans back together and I am ready to go again.....

Next repair involved 1.5 passes at the track. on my 2nd of 2 motor passes the input shaft broke, NOT A GFORCE part. but the interesting part is the most of the teeth on 1st gear and a few teeth on 3rd gear were cracked! i finally wise up and realize that no matter what i do I just can't AFFORD TO KEEP RUNNING G FORCE COMPONENTS THAT FAIL IN MY TRANSMISSION!!!

I send the ALL of their parts back to them, to see try to work something out.
in the mean time I had worked with Craig at Liberty to identify a more permanent solution. I think that we have found that happy medium. I am f'n ecstatic to state that after about 10 motor passes and 6 n2o passes the trans is performing FLAWLESSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't get that many consecutive passes out of my trans with g Force parts in it.

when I spoke with G Force after they received the parts they offered me 2500 for my trans as a down payment towards a G force clutchless transmission, lol! that was the only thing they could do for me. so after spending another small fortune to make things RIGHT, it was only worth 2500 to them, hey whatever.i was not about to send them a perfectly good transmission for a product that i have ZERO faith in.

also third gear had to be pounded onto the mainshaft during assembly, hmmm part was not honed properly. no????

if their parts were perfectly fine then why would they not take payment from me to return their defective/some good product back to me????????????????????? they paid for those costs, maybe they felt bad after all I went through, even though it had nothing to do with their product. but what do i know.

so much for the advertisement of 1200 HP capable transmissions for your F Body, lmao!!!! i guess it is like everything else. buyer beware, take my approximately 500,000 cents worth and decide for yourself. but that is what I have gone through in the last 15 or so months.

their customer service i won't say was horrible until it boiled down to me telling them I couldn't afford to keep running their parts, and i looked for a resolution.

I couldn't sell these parts to anyone on line and sleep well at night so i am stuck with $2300 in useless parts.

yeah yeah i know the car is raced, what i can state is that I NEVER EVER experienced cracked teeth on my OE gearset that I ran in the transmission before, no welds ever failed. and the only reason i went with G FORCE is after I snapped the input shaft off the car early last year, i know what the root cause of that was. i did not know that a combo shaft out of better material could be made, or i would have just done that. i am forever learning about all of this Hot Rod stuff!

while i am on my soapbox, i ordered there billet keys back in '04 that actually was a big problem for me last year when i had the trans lock back in 4th gear again, when we pulled the trans the billet keys that I had bought, well they weren't really billet pieces. I installed true billet keys in the transmission immediately after seeing that they weren't a true billet component. thanks Six Speed Inc, courtesy of D&D.

i tried to stick to facts of what the failures were. you will of course make your own mind up.

Last edited by taner; 10-07-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That really sucks. I hate hearing stories like this but too often they're left untold and the next guy takes the same beating. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 PM

at this point sharing my experience is all that I can do. it is not cost effective to pursue legal action. this whole ordeal has already cost me a small chunk of money!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks man.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:40 PM

http://videos.camaroz28.com/video/09...c20009f44f.htm

enjoy! the above helps take some of the sting away. but i will never forget the raping i took on this deal.

Quick Reply: my experience with G FORCE Transmission parts