Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question T56 Problem?

Ok guys/gals I finally got the bird back together and running after my oilpan and motor mount change. I now have a new problem. The trans (T56 M6) is very hard to go into gear and almost impossible to get into reverse. The clutch pedal also feels very soft or squishy? I am running a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and it doesn't have many miles on it and I don't think its the clutch. However, I checked the tranny fluid level and it's fine and I also pulled the slave cylinder on the tranny and the clutch fork looks good, but I did fine a few pieces of clutch in there next to the clutch fork. They were the mesh pad pieces of the clutch and only a couple of pieces not much. Any ideas on what the problem may be? Do I need to bleed the MC/SC or is this a probem with the Clutch and Pressure Plate? Let me know what you think and any advise is appreciated.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutch issue fo sho .
Old 10-11-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 393coupe
Clutch issue fo sho .
Not sure just yet as thru all of my research I am failry confident it is a air in the line issue and needs to be bled or a slave cylinder issue and it's gone bad. The reason is the clutch is holding fine to drive without slippage, but I just can get her in gear and this lends me to believe it is a hydrolic issue. I am going to try bleding it this weekend and I'll let ya'll know what I find. Also, I think the pieces of clutch I found are left over when my clutch failed last time and just were never removed from the bell housing, not sure though.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes , more specifically its a hydraulic issue not the clutch itself .
Old 10-15-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, worked on the bird this weekend and found that the clutch fluid reservior was empty and the boot on the Slave Cylinder was leaking. I replaced the Slave and filled the system with new DOT3 and bled it as much as I could. It now goes into gear better, but still pretty stiff and there is some play in the clutch pedal (bout 1-2 inches) before there is pressure. I am pretty sure the line still has some air in there somewhere, but I am not sure how to get it bled out fully? I rented the Mighty Vac (pump) from Autozone, but that wouldn't work cause it didn't come with any attachments just a hose and I couldn't get a good seal at the bottom of the reservior. Is it really necessary to loosen the M/C from the firewall while doing the hand bled method as I havn't done this yet and if so do you need to get at the bolts from the inside (IE: removing the driver kick panel)? Any help is much appreciated as I want to get this all finished.

Quick Reply: T56 Problem?