Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3+ vs Ram Powergrip HD

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec 3+ vs Ram Powergrip HD

Which one of these two clutches would be better suited to handle 500bhp? I want a streetable clutch but one that is super reliable when I go to the dragstrip and not have to worry about it slipping.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:12 AM
9 Second Club

A bunch of my friends run the Powergrip HD and love it and they are around 500+hp. I have ran the spec 3 and I didn't like it, I really wanted the HD but they were sold out at the time so I went with a centerforce dual friction which I really like. Just my personal opinion.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:36 PM
FormerVendor

Chewy, I hate to sound like a broken record but the stage 3 and the stage 3+ are quite different. I can certainly appreciate your insight...though it is not exactly apples to apples.

Z06, stage 3+ is a very drivable and very torque capable clutch. The full faced nature of the disc allows engagement and release to be progressive and allows it to have a torque rating of over 800lb.-ft at the crank. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!
Old 11-13-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Watch out for the incredible exploding Spec clutches....well, only if you really like your feet.

I strongly urge you to research this decision thoroughly, since I have 2 good friends that almost lost a foot to a Spec explosion. This was 2 different cars, with clutches installed by 2 different, reputable GM dealerships. Ka-Boom. If they had not both been in Vettes (center mounted framerails) I would have pics to show you of them hopping on one foot. As it is, there are pics posted here of the C5 that ended up being TOTALED after the POS clutch went, (V-series Tech) and should be some of the C6 that sustained like $22,000 in damages.
Good luck.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
Watch out for the incredible exploding Spec clutches....well, only if you really like your feet.

I strongly urge you to research this decision thoroughly, since I have 2 good friends that almost lost a foot to a Spec explosion. This was 2 different cars, with clutches installed by 2 different, reputable GM dealerships. Ka-Boom. If they had not both been in Vettes (center mounted framerails) I would have pics to show you of them hopping on one foot. As it is, there are pics posted here of the C5 that ended up being TOTALED after the POS clutch went, (V-series Tech) and should be some of the C6 that sustained like $22,000 in damages.
Good luck.
Can you post the pics or links to them. Which spec cluthes were they?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Chewy, I hate to sound like a broken record but the stage 3 and the stage 3+ are quite different. I can certainly appreciate your insight...though it is not exactly apples to apples.

Z06, stage 3+ is a very drivable and very torque capable clutch. The full faced nature of the disc allows engagement and release to be progressive and allows it to have a torque rating of over 800lb.-ft at the crank. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!
Originally Posted by sprayjunkie

Good luck.

I've had heard all the stories of the spec clutch brand failing one way or another from every chevy website. Whether from improper break-in or the clutch was defective from the factory. I've also heard the the quality of these clutches has gotten better, but is this true?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z06FRC
I've had heard all the stories of the spec clutch brand failing one way or another from every chevy website. Whether from improper break-in or the clutch was defective from the factory. I've also heard the the quality of these clutches has gotten better, but is this true?
I had purchased a 3+ clutch that was a few years old (bought it new in package) and stuck it to the flywheel due to a break in that was "too easy". I dealth with Jeremy at Spec and he was VERY helpful and set me up with a Brand New Spec 3+ clutch. I got it broken in now and I can't say enough about it. It is the grippiest clutch that I have felt for such a light peddle pressure. I would not hesitate to get another one! I am very happy with the engagement and feel of it. It chattered a bit in the first fifty miles but there has been no looking back since. I would highly recommend the 3+ over the standard 3. I'm not sure why they even make the regular 3, they should just drop it from the line and stick with the 3+.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:47 AM
FormerVendor

We have to offer options that cover every driver's needs. I am a big fan of the 3+...it really provides the best of both worlds. It is the unit I recommend to more customers than anything else we build. That being said...you really can't go wrong with it.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just don't get oil on your Powergrip and it'll treat you well. I loved mine until my oil leaks.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

Getting oil on any disc will likely lead to issues. Slippage begets heat and heat begets wear...it is a vicious cycle. Just my .02!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:28 PM

neither. Ive had them both, both failed. Spec lasted 5k on radials and no racing, Ram lasted ~7k or so and puked a spring and ate up the PP and flywheel.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:04 AM
Launching!

Maybe you're the problem by not installing them correctly.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Getting oil on any disc will likely lead to issues. Slippage begets heat and heat begets wear...it is a vicious cycle. Just my .02!
Originally Posted by Country Boy
neither. Ive had them both, both failed. Spec lasted 5k on radials and no racing, Ram lasted ~7k or so and puked a spring and ate up the PP and flywheel.
Originally Posted by fspeedster
Maybe you're the problem by not installing them correctly.
I agree, seriously you must have done something wrong during install in order for both those clutches to fail prematurely.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My RAM HD lasted a good 2000 miles before serious slipage after a night at the track on BFG 255 DR's, not very happy with that so I just tossed in a Tex. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Spec 3+ vs Ram Powergrip HD