Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Aftermarket shifter hitting console in 2nd and 4th?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket shifter hitting console in 2nd and 4th?

My shifter slams the console when I shift into 2nd and 4th. A buddy told me it probably is a Pro 5.0 shifter. I am not sure what kind of shifter this is. It came on the car. Is there any way to adjust this so it does not slam the console?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:07 AM
12 Second Club

I'd recommend taking the center console off and checking everything. I know pro 5.0 have had the sticks come off sometimes. It happeded to my pro 5.0 and I had to use red thread lock on the bolts twice hopefully it holds I put a decent amount on the second time because I don't want to take the console off again.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HoLLo
My shifter slams the console when I shift into 2nd and 4th. A buddy told me it probably is a Pro 5.0 shifter. I am not sure what kind of shifter this is. It came on the car. Is there any way to adjust this so it does not slam the console?
I bet the guy who said that was this ******* named lionel, don't listen to him hahaha what's up man? go to ws6store.com call them and ask them about it too. goodluck
Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
I bet the guy who said that was this ******* named lionel, don't listen to him hahaha what's up man? go to ws6store.com call them and ask them about it too. goodluck
Yeah, he doesn't know what hes talking about.. haha..

I believe it has the T-56 Short Stick on it also, but that shouldnt cause it
Old 11-22-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm using a pro 5.0 with a short stick, and have had no problems with it hitting the console for the past 2.5 years it's been installed.

if it's hitting, something isn't installed/adjusted properly.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Junkie

How would I adjust this properly?
Old 11-22-2007, 04:59 AM
TECH Addict

is it the actual end of the shifter **** that's hitting the console, or down low where the stick connects to the shifter?

if it's the end of the stick where the **** is, the stick itself may be bent, or is too long. in either case, simply installing a short stick may resolve it.

if it's hitting down low, make sure the center console is attached properly and isn't shifted toward the back some.

if that's good, on the pro 5.0, there are two adjustment bolts that limit the travel of the shifter stick from front to back (one in front, one in back). you may be able to adjust the front bolt a little toward the rear of the car to keep the shifter handle from being able to go forward as much. just be sure that if you do this, that the shifter will stay in gear, don't back it out too much.

also, if you do this, you will need to live with the shifter handle bumping up against the bolt when you shift and making a little extra noise....but i don't think that should actually hurt anything, as long as you don't try to go all "hercules" with the shift.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:00 AM
TECH Addict

some pics may also help us to help you.....if you take the console off and get down to the shifter itself, snap a few pics and post them up, and we can offer better advice.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:13 AM
CARTEK Racing

My pro 5.0 comes no where need the console...
very strange...

You might need to adjust the forward stop a little more on the shifted base.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

it's more like the top of the shift stick that's hitting the console. when his goes into 1st it looks more like mine, but when he hits 2nd the shifter goes WAY back. that's pretty much it.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

This is the shift stick I have. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...03ff34f1f87754 I'm not sure if there is an actual aftermarket shifter or if its stock. It hits the console right below my shift ****, at the top of the stick. My console is cracked, and my ashtray lid is messed up because of it. I'll get some pics up soon.

1st, 3rd, and 5th dont go all the way to the top, but 2nd especially slams the console
Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the shifter on backwards? the writing should be upside down when looking at it from the seat
Old 11-22-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HoLLo
This is the shift stick I have. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...03ff34f1f87754 I'm not sure if there is an actual aftermarket shifter or if its stock. It hits the console right below my shift ****, at the top of the stick. My console is cracked, and my ashtray lid is messed up because of it. I'll get some pics up soon.

1st, 3rd, and 5th dont go all the way to the top, but 2nd especially slams the console
doh! for some reason i was thinking it was hitting the console as it is shifting forward, not backward.....so reverse what i said in post #7, in regards to forward/backward.

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
is the shifter on backwards? the writing should be upside down when looking at it from the seat
that's what i'm thinking.....on a Pro 5.0, the shifting mechanism is closer to one side of the shifter than the other....that side needs to go closer to the rear of the car than the front. if it's closer to the front of the car, the shifter was installed backwards, and needs to be reversed.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

I am not sure its a 5.0 shifter but I'm willing to bet what ever kind of shifter it is, that's the problem. I think that because the shifter has the last say so on how far the shift stick goes, correct?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

somebody did not install it right i have the same set up and it does not hit. the short stick is supposed to be installed with the side thats most milled toward the driverside of the stick base on the pro 5.0.thats what i think it is, and some loose bolts,but i would change that short stick anyways because it sucks i dont like it all the gears are to close to the passenger side thats why i ordered a umi short stick it has a 30 degree bend towards the driverside which i think will fix my problem and will fix yours also.you can also get a lous short stick it has the same bend.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok. bringing this topic back because I finally took off my entire center console to look at my shifter. First off, around the base of the shifter on the tranny was loaded with tiny fragments of rocks.. It was nasty as hell, I cleaned out all the crud and rocks, and then noticed my shifter actually had a bend in it towards the center.. Its extremely strong, dont know how it got bent, but it was discolored right at the bend almost as if it had been heated?

But either way, i installed everything back in without making any adjustments at all, and the shifter is way smoother because its clean, shifts feel firmer, and it doesn't hit the console at all. no matter the gear or how hard i shift...

Easy success

Quick Reply: Aftermarket shifter hitting console in 2nd and 4th?