Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Weird Clutch Pedal Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Weird Clutch Pedal Noise.

I got my car re-tuned about a week ago. On the way home I was just cruising and I go to push in the clutch and it felt like the clutch pedal snapped. It made a pretty loud noise and it sounded like something(a spring) went flying below my feet. I immediately thought something got screwed up so I quickly pushed in the pedal to get it out of gear. I pulled over and tried to see anything obvious and everything seemed fine. The car drives fine, nothing different at all.

Today I took the car out again after not driving for a week and now there is a noise and feel pretty much everytime I push the pedal all the way down. It sounds like a flasher, the sound when you use your turn signals, and I can feel a light tap in my foot. Like stated above the car shifts and drives fine. I haven't looked into it yet but I am just curious if anyone has had this before. When I came out to the car again, after it sitting for about an hour I pushed the pedal down about 4 times with the engine off and it didn't make the noise. I then started the car and it was there again. Possibly a hydraulic problem.

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a return spring attached to the clutch pedal. Since I replaced my clutch and hydrolics I haven't had that issue.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrhzk35404
there is a return spring attached to the clutch pedal. Since I replaced my clutch and hydrolics I haven't had that issue.
If the spring was gone would it cause a different pedal feel? It still has the same feel and grab as it always did but it makes this noise now.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

I am not sure. I have heard of people taking the spring out and they said everything worked fine
Old 11-22-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I drove the car again today, just around the block, and it made the noise when the car wasn't running too. I'll look into when I get the time or until the car starts acting up.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Drove it about 20 miles today. No noise...
Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

its just a return spring man it happened to a few buddies of mine its just one of those things not to worry about. it doesnt hamper any performance at all your hydraulics push the pedal back. im sure you can get that spring at a dealer though if you wanted. prolly like 5 bucks cause its a dealer part...****** dealers
Old 11-25-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DevilmonkeyWS6
its just a return spring man it happened to a few buddies of mine its just one of those things not to worry about. it doesnt hamper any performance at all your hydraulics push the pedal back. im sure you can get that spring at a dealer though if you wanted. prolly like 5 bucks cause its a dealer part...****** dealers
Hah, I actually work for a GM dealer. Just curious if anyone had the same problem before, I still haven't had time to look at it.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just note that it's a pain in the *** to reinstall that spring. I tried driving without it but I didn't like it feeling a little loose at the top so I put it back...
Old 11-26-2007, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SladeX
just note that it's a pain in the *** to reinstall that spring. I tried driving without it but I didn't like it feeling a little loose at the top so I put it back...
Thanks. I didn't notice any difference in the pedal at all but maybe there is a slight change. Hopefully I can look at it this week.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's actually a bulletin on it. Sounds like what I have, still need to check it out.

Subject: Clutch Pedal Return Spring Breaks or Scraping Noise When Clutch Pedal Applied (Replace Clutch Pedal Return Spring) #02-07-31-001 - (02/19/2002)

Models: 1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro

1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird

with Manual Transmission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment about a spring breaking and falling to the floor or a scraping noise when the clutch pedal is applied.

Correction
Replace the clutch pedal return spring using the procedure and part number listed below.

Disengage the lower part of the IP cluster trim plate bezel.
Remove the IP knee bolster.
Remove the left closeout/insulator panel.
Remove the wiring junction block screws and position aside.
Remove the clutch anticipate (start) switch. Do not disconnect the electrical connections.
Remove the clutch actuator rod clip and rod from the clutch pedal.
Disconnect the 3-way electrical connector on the side of the steering column.

Important: Nylon inserts (1, 3) must be present to install the clutch pedal return spring properly. If inserts are not present, try to locate them. They may have fallen to the floor. If unable to locate the inserts, the clutch pedal assembly must be replaced.

Install the right leg of the spring (2) into the bracket.
Rotate and swing the flat part of the spring into the pocket on the pedal.
Using long needle nose pliers, insert the left leg of the spring into the bracket.
Connect the 3-way electrical connector on the side of the steering column.
Install the clutch actuator rod and clip to the clutch pedal.
Install the clutch anticipate (start) switch.
Position the wiring junction block and install the screws.
Install the left closeout/insulator panel.
Install the IP knee bolster.
Engage the lower part of the IP cluster trim plate bezel.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Spring, Clutch Pedal Return
Old 11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has not had the return spring since I bought it back in 03, no problems here.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Grifter
Hah, I actually work for a GM dealer. Just curious if anyone had the same problem before, I still haven't had time to look at it.

Thanks.
hope is works out
Old 01-28-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just an update. I finally got around to looking at the spring and just like stated above the spring did snap.

Quick Reply: Weird Clutch Pedal Noise.