Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

?? questions bout spec stage5 clutch ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? questions bout spec stage5 clutch ??

ok .. looking into a clutch that can handle about 700-800lbs of torque ..built 347 on a 300shot ..with a very solid and agressive engagement.

looking into a spec stage 5 ...the full iron disc
i can handle the agressiveness..90% race car.. street car for ***** and giggles ..

the price is right .. gonna be installing a fidanza light weight with it as well..
need to knw how its gonna hold up with all the torqu3 from a nitrouse shot that size 2 stages .

how many miles am i looking at with agressive driving .. anyone with first hanf info with this please let me knw .. gona order asap . thanks for the input ..
Old 11-23-2007, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Have you checked into the Twin Disc stuff? I can't comment on the Spec 5 first hand, but second hand I've heard it can be a PITA on the street. I know the twin disc is streetable, and will hold the power.

-Will
Old 11-24-2007, 09:44 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really isn't too agressive of a clutch. It may be more brutal than most people are use to, but really not as bad as people make it out to be.

The only things I notice are because of the solid disc you'll tend to chirp the tires at traffic lights when it engages, and it has a tendency to squeel because of the iron disc.

As far as life expectancy, I think I got about 7500 miles out of mine. Keep in mind, I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for four to five hours on the highway one time, and a couple hours another time. As long as you take care to not get yourself in situations like that, and set it up properly, it should last quite a while.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure how well the light weight flywheel and the aggressive clutch are gonna work
Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I use the SPEC 5 as my cluth, 90-95% street car, its not that bad

I wouldn't go with a light flywheel though.... I believe the SPEC Flywheel is SFI approved?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

The clutch drives OKAY. It was manageable for me in Atlanta traffic, but took getting used to. Never slipped either with approx 850rwtq.

BUT...look what happened after about 2k miles of use...SPEC wont replace it either (to be fair, the 90 day warranty has expired...but still, this should not happen)

Whats even more disturbing is that SPEC says its okay to run like this...

...personally, I like my feet where they are...

Get a Ram or Mcleod twin disc and save yourself the headache.
Attached Thumbnails ?? questions bout spec stage5 clutch ??-dsc02777.jpg   ?? questions bout spec stage5 clutch ??-dsc02779.jpg   ?? questions bout spec stage5 clutch ??-dsc02781.jpg  
Old 11-29-2007, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

Rather than rehashing my disertation in a post higher up the page...I will do my best to keep this breif. Stage 5 is a "Race" clutch. It can be driven on the street...but it is not a "street" clutch. Riding the pedal as happens in street use when inching along in traffic can cause chatter which can thusly lead to minor cracks in the rigid hub. These discs have been in production and use for more than 6 years and I have never seen one break/come apart...though cracking around the relief holes is common.

If you have a high-power car that is driven on the street and you want the most street-friendly clutch then go with one of our Super-Twins...though I have logged countless passes/miles on stage 5's without issue...Stage 5 is a race clutch and should be thought of that way. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!