Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Launching a car with an aftermarket clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Launching a car with an aftermarket clutch

Question is in the 3rd paragraph... skip the 1st 2 if ya don't like reading my essays.

My Z28 has about 73xxx miles on it, and I doubt the clutch is gonna last me too much longer. Doesn't slip or anything but I hear this chattering when taking off in 1st with very low RPMs (under 900-1,000) I don't drive it too hard, especially because I don't think I'm prepared to replace the clutch yet. Never done it before and its gonna cost a lot of money. Hopefully when the time comes I'll grow a pair and have the resources and time to do it.

Just in case it craps out... I'm thinking about getting an LS7 clutch. I've also heard a lot of good things about Textralia clutches. I've driven a car with a Spec 2 clutch before and the thing just grabs like hell and makes the pedal hard, which makes street driving jerky. I did read some threads about clutch installs and the issues that come with them, hopefully I am more comfortable when the time comes.

Now, is there a clutch out there that not only has stock feel, but also stockish grab? I'm more comfortable slipping the clutch during launch, and especially since I don't plan on buying DRs anytime soon, sidestepping the clutch and having a clutch that grabs like a light switch (on or off, nothing in between) kinda concerns me, because wouldn't I just spin at the line if I had a clutch that grabbed too well? Is the LS7 clutch my answer? Just as background, I'm stock for now but I plan on doing mostly bolt-ons, maybe eventually heads and cam when I learn how to, and making in the neighborhood of 380-450 WHP. I don't plan on tracking weekly or anything, nor do I plan on racing people on the street, I just want to be prepared when the time comes so I don't get an embarassing time at the strip.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-08-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For that kinda power, I wouldn't touch anything but the LS7 clutch with a 10 ft. pole (aftermarkets tend to wear out much faster and chatter) unless you're planning on 4k+ launches on slicks/MTs... pedal's so nice and light too... I'd reccomend a new slave on the install too... if you plan on racing it, the drill mod would be um... a very good idea.