Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

That stock T-56 sure can take a pounding!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:16 PM
CARTEK Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceissus
LOL thanks for explanation WS6....i'm always a fan of doing whatever i like best and ignoring what every one else "knows" to be true...haha

Another question:
When you said you have a Cartek clutch, do you mean the master cylinder? I find that my stock master takes FOREVER to engage and disengage when i'm trying to shift down the lane.

If you have a Cartek master, what kind of clutch disk/pressure plate/flywheel do you use, if you don't mind me asking of course....haha
I don't mind at all...

I do have a CARTEK adjustable master, but I also have a CARTEK clutch. They designed their own clutch. Well this is their 3rd design. I have had the first 2 as well they were awesome, and was the test car for the 3rd. Seems to be working LOL
Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Short sticks are crap IMHO, and if you want to shift fast, you don't need a short stick for your shifter, you need practice.

That is what most people don't understand. The saying is true; practice makes perfect. Everyone wants to throw a bunch of parts at their car and have a fast car. You need to drive it and see what works to get the best times.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:41 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by Grifter
That is what most people don't understand. The saying is true; practice makes perfect. Everyone wants to throw a bunch of parts at their car and have a fast car. You need to drive it and see what works to get the best times.
Well, we do eventually push our cars faster then curtain components are capable of going. And if we do not upgrade them we will not be able to go faster. Clutches, suspension components, rears and so on all fall under that category. So it is possible to be limited by your equipment.

Honestly, I don't know if its possible for me to shift my tranny any faster then I am already doing. Thats when you have to go with something faster, but never an automatic, at least not in my case.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, we do eventually push our cars faster then curtain components are capable of going. And if we do not upgrade them we will not be able to go faster. Clutches, suspension components, rears and so on all fall under that category. So it is possible to be limited by your equipment.

Honestly, I don't know if its possible for me to shift my tranny any faster then I am already doing. Thats when you have to go with something faster, but never an automatic, at least not in my case.
I totally agree with needing to upgrade certain components. But what I meant was your car in my hands might be a 12 second car. I just don't have as much experience as you on the track. It takes practice to get your car to run the times that it's capable of.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:22 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by Grifter
I totally agree with needing to upgrade certain components. But what I meant was your car in my hands might be a 12 second car. I just don't have as much experience as you on the track. It takes practice to get your car to run the times that it's capable of.

My first pass in my car when stock was 14.1 @ 101 After a year of trying the car ran 12.85 @ 111.22

The biggest change was my ability to launch and shift it, gained from the experience of going tot he drag strip.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

My first pass in my car when stock was 14.1 @ 101 After a year of trying the car ran 12.85 @ 111.22

The biggest change was my ability to launch and shift it, gained from the experience of going tot he drag strip.
Exactly. Congrats again, awesome run.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

No short stick, I have the original out of the box Pro-5.0

See thats the thing. I explained my "theory" based on simple Physics principals in another thread regarding "short sticks" for the pro-5.0 in this very forum not more then 2 weeks ago. Apparently I don't know what Im talking about because I was told I don't know how to shift and that maybe I should work out because I am not strong enough. Mind you the person who told me this was driving a 12second car I think.

If we study our history we will see that Archimedes said “Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough and I will move the world” Therefor I believe that the longer shifter stick, though less attractive inside the cabin allows me to shift faster because if I apply the same amount of force to a shorter lever as I do to a longer lever, the shorter lever will move slower and apply less force on the opposite end of the fulcrum, in this case the transmission.

Short sticks are crap IMHO, and if you want to shift fast, you don't need a short stick for your shifter, you need practice. But hey, maybe you should not listen to me, because at least according to that guy I don't know **** about racing a 6speed and am too week to shift fast.

LOL

Trust me, use the stock shifter handle on your Pro-5.0 and go to the track, get practice and a good clutch like my CARTEK one, and you can shift like that too.

In fact, watching that vid, my 1-2 shift SUCKED! LOL
Amen brother!!! I tried explaining that to so many people back in my 5.0 mustang days.
I loved making passes, then waiting in the pits for the guys to come up and ask.." how much nitrous you using?"..me "None." Them " How do you run so quick with an auto trans?" Me.."I dont." I love me the T5 and T56 transmissions!!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:29 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by TurboLark
Amen brother!!! I tried explaining that to so many people back in my 5.0 mustang days.
I loved making passes, then waiting in the pits for the guys to come up and ask.." how much nitrous you using?"..me "None." Them " How do you run so quick with an auto trans?" Me.."I dont." I love me the T5 and T56 transmissions!!
People just don't listen man... they just don't
Old 12-14-2007, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the feel of the Cartek mc? Is it a large bore master? Any increased pedal pressure?

Out of curiosity, what fluid are you running?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:15 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
How is the feel of the Cartek mc? Is it a large bore master? Any increased pedal pressure?

Out of curiosity, what fluid are you running?
Since I got the CARTEK master cylinder at the same time I got the clutch, I can not honestly tell you what difference in feel the master did on its own. All I know is that it is a modified version of the factory master made to be adjustable and flow more volume of fluid in order to limit the over heating. The pedal pressure did increase over the stock unit with my first two CARTEK clutches, but with the new redesign, the pressure feels just a tad more then stock.

CARTEK filled the master with New Super DOT 610F synthetic brake fluid.
http://www.bakerprecision.com/neobrk.htm
Old 12-14-2007, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That video pass was amazing. Awesome driving man!
Old 12-14-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like an automatic tranny,

j/k... are you letting off the gas between shifts? that car sounds too nasty, nice driving man
Old 12-14-2007, 04:14 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by chavez885
Sounds like an automatic tranny,

j/k... are you letting off the gas between shifts? that car sounds too nasty, nice driving man
No, not letting off the gas.. 100% throttle the whole way down
Old 12-14-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

thats what i was thinking,too sick man, keep it up
Old 12-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Restricted User

Way to row them ****** gears!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Alex, which transmission fluid do you run in that 'factory freak' T56??
Old 12-15-2007, 04:01 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Alex, which transmission fluid do you run in that 'factory freak' T56??
Its the factory/GM fluid dude, no clue what it is.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

standard ATF!