Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How much more fun would you say a M6 is over an A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, there were a couple of times where i was looking down at my M6 on the tracks going, well im not as predictable as an A4 when i was at the stage light. But, when you let go of the clutch and you get your two front tires airborne, that is what its all about.... or... if your driving down the road and some hot shot mustanger comes by. You go from 6th gear to 3rd and mash the gas pedal and let loose the tires to only blow white smoke in his face. Yah... its a rush... and love doing it any chance i get. Only con i can think of..... TRAFFIC! But its not as bad as i make it out to be. I wouldnt get a M6 in a city area if i was driving the rush hour traffic everyday. I would buy some junkie, and keep the LS1 Parked and take it out for the fun trips.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by binks0678
o and also just something to think about the M6 is a stronger transmission, but dont push it hard till you get used to it you dont want to miss a high rpm shift and screw something up but thats not even a worry once your used to it, when it comes down to it YOUR the one whos going to be in it everyday though so get what you truely want, also before i got my car i drove a 99 TA A4 with lid headers and catback and it really didnt impress me as much as i thought a car with that much horsepower should, the M6 on the other hand was a completely different beast, ohh and sorry for the ridiculously long posts
Its cool man, long posts are good because the explain things and let me know everything. I want a M6, but I also want to know that I'll be good with it is the only thing. If I knew for sure that I would be good with it, I don't think I would have any doubts. So does that mean I should def. get a six speed?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by addicted2fun
You know, there were a couple of times where i was looking down at my M6 on the tracks going, well im not as predictable as an A4 when i was at the stage light. But, when you let go of the clutch and you get your two front tires airborne, that is what its all about.... or... if your driving down the road and some hot shot mustanger comes by. You go from 6th gear to 3rd and mash the gas pedal and let loose the tires to only blow white smoke in his face. Yah... its a rush... and love doing it any chance i get. Only con i can think of..... TRAFFIC! But its not as bad as i make it out to be. I wouldnt get a M6 in a city area if i was driving the rush hour traffic everyday. I would buy some junkie, and keep the LS1 Parked and take it out for the fun trips.
I am not in "the city" really at all. Biggest town I would be driving in on a regular basis would be Bloomington, IN where I go to school. At home the population is like 15,000 or something, idk for sure. Also with the mustang thing, I've had numerous mustangs rev at me so I would be able to just push in the clutch and give them a nice Camaro rev back. One of the mustangs is nice though, white cobra with some anniversay edition or something else, all other just make me laugh at them.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have a cute little story for you, but street car = M6, drag car = Auto, Autocross/whatever = M6. M6 = 87 times more fun. Especially once you learn how to powershift successfully
Old 01-17-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

When I was shopping for my car buying an auto was not an option. I enjoy them 1000x more. Even when get into an auto I press for a clutch and start laughing.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

I sold my A4 95 Z28 this past summer and bought my 98 M6 Z28. Hands sown, cant be more fun than running up the RPMs and shifting thru the gears.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Even when get into an auto I press for a clutch and start laughing.
ha i do that all the time now also i reach for the clutch and its not there WTF!? , if your worried about being a good driver with tha manual i would say thats a non issue seriously for the first week or so you will just get used to it and you will have no problem, then after that youll learn to lauch and powershift then its even more fun, i would not worry about being able to drive it at all because youll want to be driving it so bad anyway i seriously bet within 1 full day you will be a good driver and in a couple weeks youll pretty much be able to do anything in it, if worrying wheather you can drive it is all thats holding you back then go ahead and buy it that wont be a problem
Old 01-17-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

in addition to the other things to like about an m6 car, you always are forced to pick an rpm level to listen to. I love going through town nice and slow at 3k rpm, sounds so awesome. Then of course the natural progression when traffic clears from there stomp the tach up then chirp second or third

edit:
Oh I forgot to add, you'll be able to learn to drive it very quickly. Always remember, the shifter is self centering, so if you need 3rd or 4th, let the shifter spring back to the middle and you're at 3rd and 4th. Find a friend that knows how to drive a standard and have him go with you a nd go test drive a few standard cars. You'll see how quickly you pick it up. It's a lot easier than say, learning how to ride a bicycle.

Last edited by Shooter_Jay; 01-17-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg_74
Alright it sounds like a lot more fun. How long did it take you guys to learn and get good where you felt good driving it anywhere? Any downsides? I know stopping on hills aren't the greatest, can't really talk on the cell and shift... but anything else? Or do you guys think the enjoyment cancels out everything?

Nah, I'm sure a thousand times, literally, I have shifted with my left hand and steering with my knee while doing whatever with my right hand, eating, drinking, phoning, whatever. In ten minutes you'll be going and stopping. Don't be afraid to burn a little rubber with a lot of gas and let the clutch out quick, better than clutch out slow which will wear a clutch faster. Don't worry though, you'll pick it up so quickly. Then just find a shallow hill to practice on, then steeper and steeper. Like I say, if you have the *****, learn on test drives before you buy one.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2 SSlow
Especially once you learn how to powershift successfully
Yeah, my car chirping 2nd perfectly is so easy, and 3rd chirp is a rush if I tach 2nd high enough and powershift

Originally Posted by _JB_
When I was shopping for my car buying an auto was not an option. I enjoy them 1000x more. Even when get into an auto I press for a clutch and start laughing.
funnier is after driving my auto truck all winter and come to a stop in the m6 and forget to push the clutch in until 2mph the thing shakin' like crazy heh.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After hearing all this I'm now leaning towards a M6. I guess which ever car I find will get though but if I find two black SS's that are close in price and condition and everything I'll get a M6. Thanks for your help guys. Oh and I wouldn't be afraid to burn a little rubber. The chirps when shifting into second and third is definitely a plus.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

M6 for fun...love mine
Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. One question though, anybody learn how to drive a M6 on your f body or a previous f body?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Banned

I learned to drive a stick in a three on the tree dodge pickup. Manual is the ONLY way to go unless it is a pure strip car and you are scared. Some people will tell you can't go fast with a stick. There are several stupid fast LSX cars with sticks and Pro Stockers row thier own too. Just my .02.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you'd rather an m6, don't buy an auto, you'll regret it trust me. My last car I settled for the auto, ended up driving it seven years and wished it was a stick the whole time.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

ya i agree with shooter jay, when learning its better to let the clutch out to fast and burn them a little then to slowly and burn your clutch to much, i and litterally learned to drive a manual in 10 min when i was 15, first manual ever was one i was test drving , and i only killed it twice in a 30 min test drive youll pick it up fast.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
If you'd rather an m6, don't buy an auto, you'll regret it trust me. My last car I settled for the auto, ended up driving it seven years and wished it was a stick the whole time.
Well I think I would be happy with both. My Z now is a auto and there have only been a couple times when I wish it was a M6. For the most part I'm fine with a A4 but I have always wondered what it would be like to control the rpms and everything.

You guys talk about the clutch... How are the clutches on LS1 SS's? Stiff? Easier to use that others? Not as easy?

Last edited by greg_74; 01-19-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

To each their own if you prefer an auto, some do. For me, the manual strikes a chord nostalgic to the times flying through the gears out in the woods on trikes and quads growing up. I don't even care that my bike's motor has been blown for a few years now, because my Z is my quad on steroids now if that makes any sense.

EDIT:
Oh and I forgot the other part.

As for what's easy to learn a standard on? I wan't to say an ls1 should be easy, a bit stiffer clutch than say a honda...but nothing difficult. A less powerful car has a lighter clutch, but it also has less power, so it's easier to stall. You could drive an LS1 in only 3rd gear if you wanted to pretty easily. Like skip shift, under very light throttle shifting out of first, the transmission forces you to go from 1st smoothly right into 4th gear at a very low rpm, and the car just chugs right out of it.

Last edited by Shooter_Jay; 01-18-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude just don't worry about it. M6 all the way! Much better driving experience and control of the car. You'll pick it up in no time. Then before you know it you will be shifting and working the clutch without even thinking about it. I drove an auto f-body for a few years, now I have an M6. Not one time have I wished it was an auto. Plus everyone know sticks are much cooler than automatics
Old 01-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

My first car was a six speed lt1 car, the one in my sig, just stock at the time. Took me about 2 days to get the hang of it, but its cake.. So much fun slamming gears... And you'll notice you'll get better at multitasking lol, IE down shifting, turning, smoking a cig and talking on your cell phone, lol..

Quick Reply: How much more fun would you say a M6 is over an A4