Old 01-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTF did I do wrong????

Here is the setup:
-99 Formula.
-Z06 slave cylinder
-Ram VDS clutch

I tried it with the stock clutch m/c first. Now I have tried an ADJ M/C..

Problem:
The clutch will fully engage but wont quite fully disengage.
You can change between the forward gears with minor/no clash, but still some drag ont he clutch. Reverse is ONLY attainable by shutting the car off, putting it in reverse, and restarting.

Previously there was a SPEC clutch in the car with simlilar, but less severe symptoms.

P.S this is not my car. I am doing this for a friend who is in Iraq. So I may or may nto know the answers to some questions.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:17 PM
9 Second Club

Sounds like air in the line to me.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Haha...I bled it...ALOT...maybe I'll let it sit awhile and try bleeding it soem more tomorrow. See if some air works its way out.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you shim the slave or not???
Old 01-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Hmmm....no shims came with the clutch..so no. I didnt shim it..

It MAY have a shim from the spec install..but maybe not considering it was acting similar with the spec clutch.
I didnt look that close at the stack of stuff on the input shaft sleeve though to know if there was a shim..
Old 01-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Assuming I need a shim......What thickness do I need to order and from where?

I'm only taking this thing apart one more time and I want to get it right this time.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

why the corvette slave in a fbody :confusd:

definetly sounds like a slave issue not fully releasing. has the flywheel ever been cut?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Dunno..he jsut said he had the "Z06 slave" in his car.....guess he killed like 4 stockers....

Anyhow the VDS came with a brand new steel flywheel....

My last two thoughts are:
-Slave cylinder needs shimmed, which makes sense a little

-Or....the Slave cylinder is gonig out, but.....this car has acted like this even with a different clutch and for quite some time..if it was going out..wouldnt it have gotten worse or totally failed by now?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

dbl check and make sure that the z06 slave is compatible with the ram vds clutch..try calling ram clutches and maby asking them for tech advice?
if the clutch will not diss-enguage..also you can make sure that the slave is tightened down properly with the 2 ten millimeter bolts...and use new ones..

also make sure that if the slave is suppossed to have a spacer that there is one..or maby get ahold of your parts dealer and check to see if a new slave is necessary? sometimes it is better to install all new hardware at the same time..with new fluids..
if you do get a new slave cylinder which may not be a bad idea..check the master as well..if it needs to be replaced then do that at the same time..

sounds like your buddys car needs to have a new slave w/ bolts/ drill mod...new master to go with the new clutch set up? if you do that then..hell all you have left to do is bleed the clutch....shoot me a pm if you have any questions...
Old 01-25-2008, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

if there is a shim under the slave it needs to be removed, only way to tell is when u remove trans u will need to remove slave and check behind it for the plate (shim) if it's there remove it. shim should only be used for lt1's, however instructions that came with my Ram clutch (pwrgrip HD) even had inspection for slave bearing to clutch spring tab clearance..... I had same issue except not as bad. what I mean is when I finally took my ws6 to the track and only had about 18psi on rear M/T I gripped realy good that my clutched slipped. so thinking that it was tire slipage I added air (23) and got tire spin but still manage .10 slower. on my way home on the highway going up a hill in six gear I step on it to pass a vehicle ans clutch slips. soooo when I decided to change it 2 weeks later I noticed my bearing had grooves, seems it was not spinning when disengaged. so now it's all good. u should have about 1 1/2 inch of play before u feel pressure (thats were slave bearing starts pressing on spring tabs). sorry for the long story but, I hope this helps. good luck man..

Last edited by cowboysfan; 01-25-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

What you are describing sounds like an air in the line problem. A Z06 slave is the same dimension as an fbody and should work fine. Not sure what bleeding method you are using but the mity vac method in accordance with the TSB from GM on bleeding is probably your best bet. Since this is a good method for bleeding, and the kit is inexpensive, I would do that before I took anything apart.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

In all honesty I've never bled the slaves in my car. They usually come pre bled. Just pump it 20 to 30 times and add fluid as neccesary.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Benner
In all honesty I've never bled the slaves in my car. They usually come pre bled. Just pump it 20 to 30 times and add fluid as neccesary.
well it wont hurt to bleed it! air can get through the quick disconnect fitting!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All I can say is go to your local sears and pick up a mighty vac they work wonders, had the same problem with mine and it worked great.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:18 AM
12 Second Club

sounds like a pretty damn good tool to have will have to check that out myself...
Old 01-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

yea i put one in for a friend and we bleed it once had ok pedal but it would not go in reverse...bleed it twice and had no pedal at all this went on like ten times we just checked it every time and when the pedal felt good and it went into reverse we left it alone...
Old 02-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Launching!

How do you tell if the slave is going bad?

I see no obvious leaks.
The grease on the sleeve that the T/O Bearing rides on looks kinda of "wet" thoguh....perhaps its weeping?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:38 AM
12 Second Club

any luck yet? any problems? whats the deal?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
dbl check and make sure that the z06 slave is compatible with the ram vds clutch..try calling ram clutches and maby asking them for tech advice?
if the clutch will not diss-enguage..also you can make sure that the slave is tightened down properly with the 2 ten millimeter bolts...and use new ones..

also make sure that if the slave is suppossed to have a spacer that there is one..or maby get ahold of your parts dealer and check to see if a new slave is necessary? sometimes it is better to install all new hardware at the same time..with new fluids..
if you do get a new slave cylinder which may not be a bad idea..check the master as well..if it needs to be replaced then do that at the same time..

sounds like your buddys car needs to have a new slave w/ bolts/ drill mod...new master to go with the new clutch set up? if you do that then..hell all you have left to do is bleed the clutch....shoot me a pm if you have any questions...

Well Gregg, here is a video of your car.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8...2c011b37b3.htm

Look at my user name and sig on here...now compare it to gafba.com.....

LOL............
Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

thanks man....the neighbors can **** off lmao...and thou shalt not rev the formula in a carport lol...thanks for all the work man..now i have to get an exact price on a MN12 T56 for the bird as my stocker is FUBARD...