Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

downshifting on the highway question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rev matching means that if you downshift, you rev up your motor some to be closer to the rpm that you are about to be at. Meaning if in 6th doing 70mph at 1550 rpms and then you want to go to 3rd you will be around 3300 rpm at the least more around 3500. But instead of going from a near idle Rpm to 3500, while you have the clutch pushed in you rev the engine a little bit to make it not so hard on the driveling. I normally will rev to about 2800 or so and then slowly let the clutch out.

That cam is not very big at all, so yea you should have nice pullin power even in 5th.. I know I do lol
Old 01-28-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

75-80, i'd go from third. but i wouldn't just drop it then punch it. shift into the gear, let the rpm's go up and then hit it. unless you have a built transmission then you can beat the hell out of it!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by StripedZebra
I was once told that with the stock gears, anything under 95 mph, hit 3rd. Nothing will get the jump on you
thanks, that kinda makes me feel better, i was kinda worried that an lt1 pulled me that my car is waaaayyyy underpowered, so now ill have to get on the highway and find another lt1 and seek revenge

Originally Posted by Z Fury
As said, drive the car, learn the redline speeds, and you can adjust your shifting habbits accordingly. I spent about 3 weeks driving around looking at my speedo and thinking about "what gear would I grab in this scenario" kinda thing.

PS - Enjoy the new car!

yea i think thats what i need to do, drive drive drive and learn alll about the car....

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
Rev matching means that if you downshift, you rev up your motor some to be closer to the rpm that you are about to be at. Meaning if in 6th doing 70mph at 1550 rpms and then you want to go to 3rd you will be around 3300 rpm at the least more around 3500. But instead of going from a near idle Rpm to 3500, while you have the clutch pushed in you rev the engine a little bit to make it not so hard on the driveling. I normally will rev to about 2800 or so and then slowly let the clutch out.

That cam is not very big at all, so yea you should have nice pullin power even in 5th.. I know I do lol
so say im cruisin at 75 1500 rpms, push in the clutch rev up to 2800 then shift to 3rd and punch it???

also i really dont know about cams so i dont know all about the number...think you could give me a little infor on what they all mean?

Originally Posted by tripps
75-80, i'd go from third. but i wouldn't just drop it then punch it. shift into the gear, let the rpm's go up and then hit it. unless you have a built transmission then you can beat the hell out of it!
yea eventually i will get a built tranny but hopefully wayyy before then i will learn how to drive her properly hahah
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

I would let the car settle in the gear before you punch it... like rev match and then let the clutch out, not to fast or slow. Then one the car is in gear you can get on it.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
I would let the car settle in the gear before you punch it... like rev match and then let the clutch out, not to fast or slow. Then one the car is in gear you can get on it.
yea thats what i meant, clutch, rev, 3rd, let her settle then
Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

also if you examine your car you can see that in 3rd gear your RPM's needle and your speed needle match so w/e gear ur in, you can see, compared to the speedo needle, this will tell you where ur rpm's would be if u were to drop it from whatever gear.....just a lil thing i learned
Old 01-29-2008, 04:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
when you say rev matching exactly what do you mean what revs should i do to throw it into 3rd cruisin at 70ish??? the cam is Comp Cam 224/230 581/589 114

Like the guys said, 5th and 6th are overdrive gears.

Rev matching is, when you are going to downshift at speed, push in the clutch, tap the gas to bring the rpm's up, and slide it into the lower gear. I can't say what the exact rpm's are, I always do it by feel. 2nd nature, I guess.

I do say slide it into the lower gear, because if you are forcing it, you're probably doing it wrong, and that's where you start to break stuff. Try it at lower speeds (55-60) until you get the hang of it. Then higher speed downshifts will go smoother for you.

Have fun, but be careful. These cars are addicting!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DBEST369
also if you examine your car you can see that in 3rd gear your RPM's needle and your speed needle match so w/e gear ur in, you can see, compared to the speedo needle, this will tell you where ur rpm's would be if u were to drop it from whatever gear.....just a lil thing i learned
ok ill have to check that out....

Originally Posted by johnnybravo
Like the guys said, 5th and 6th are overdrive gears.

Rev matching is, when you are going to downshift at speed, push in the clutch, tap the gas to bring the rpm's up, and slide it into the lower gear. I can't say what the exact rpm's are, I always do it by feel. 2nd nature, I guess.

I do say slide it into the lower gear, because if you are forcing it, you're probably doing it wrong, and that's where you start to break stuff. Try it at lower speeds (55-60) until you get the hang of it. Then higher speed downshifts will go smoother for you.

Have fun, but be careful. These cars are addicting!
thanks....yea i can tell how addicting they are, i got up in the middle of the night last night to go check on her in the garage haha
Old 01-29-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I usually hit 2nd at 65 and 70. sometimes 75. anything above that i hit 3rd. But thats just me
Old 01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want that clutch to live after you rev match it release the clutch completely before punching it. If you punch it without full clamping force you'll be smelling clutch and eventually be slipping like mad after repeated screw ups like that.

With practice you'll have a good feel for when to release that clutch that you can break loose tires from a roll. It's pretty dramatic to go from 6th to 3rd, and depending on the speed you can pull a 2nd gear roll run too... heh
Old 01-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001AntiVenom
I usually hit 2nd at 65 and 70. sometimes 75. anything above that i hit 3rd. But thats just me
droppin to 2nd at 75...is that ok for the stock tranny????

Originally Posted by SladeX
If you want that clutch to live after you rev match it release the clutch completely before punching it. If you punch it without full clamping force you'll be smelling clutch and eventually be slipping like mad after repeated screw ups like that.

With practice you'll have a good feel for when to release that clutch that you can break loose tires from a roll. It's pretty dramatic to go from 6th to 3rd, and depending on the speed you can pull a 2nd gear roll run too... heh
so just neutral,rev,clutch 3rd and ease out the clutch correct?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Try to get the rev match done quickly. You want to keep the drivetrain from "shocking" the engine to it's rpm at the same time not cause any significant wear. Hence revmatch + quick release of the clutch. You know you've done it right when you don't get jerked around by the car losing/gaining speed from a mismatched rpm. If done right, the car keeps moving at roughly the same speed and the exhaust note screams. For your first few attempts, try it at low speed and ease into it. Once you get the hang of it though, you just slip the clutch at the appropriate rpm, not ease.

General rule of thumb would be each gear requires roughly 1/3 more rpm than the previous one. Skipping 2 gears needs close to double the rpm usually.

Take the difference between 6th and 4th gear 0.5 ratio vs 1.00 ratio, effectively double the rpm and you've rev matched it.

5th and 3rd have a similar relationship too, but it's less than double, like 1.74 times the rpm.

Most cars you encounter on the road won't require any more than a 5th downshift to embarrass them. 4th gear rolls will take out most ricers. 3rd is for any real enthusiast, ricer or not. 2nd gear roll is reserved for the "oh **** this guy has a faster car for sure".

If you can keep ratios like add a third of the rpm per downshift or double the downshift
Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

if you are just worried about a Civic go to 4th. For that matter just go to 4th the 1st time if you think you'll have a few runs just to see what you're up against. Then if necessary rev match and punch it in 3rd
Old 01-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

if its stock gears umm 2nd at 75mph would be like......i dont even know 5500? so i mean its DOABLE, you'll def have the jump on him then hahha
Old 01-30-2008, 09:35 AM
master of the "jack"stand

My car pulls pretty good in 5th at highways speeds, but I have 4.10s.

You will soon learn the fun of highway 3rd gear downshifts...even better with the cutout open.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Just to throw this in there, I wouldn't recommend going WOT in any gear at a very low RPM. You will burn your clutch up quicker.

And ALWAYS rev match unless you want to have to replace the clutch soon, or possibly the tranny, driveshaft, or rear end very soon.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=ls1ssws6;8596449]droppin to 2nd at 75...is that ok for the stock tranny????

Probally not. but i run my car out to 7,400. Actually i know its not good for the stock tranny cause mine is broke right now LOL
Old 01-30-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DBEST369
if its stock gears umm 2nd at 75mph would be like......i dont even know 5500? so i mean its DOABLE, you'll def have the jump on him then hahha
I do have stock gears but i run my car on out lol
Old 01-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=2001AntiVenom;8602749]
Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
droppin to 2nd at 75...is that ok for the stock tranny????

Probally not. but i run my car out to 7,400. Actually i know its not good for the stock tranny cause mine is broke right now LOL
well i know not to listen to your advice anymore haha just messin

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
My car pulls pretty good in 5th at highways speeds, but I have 4.10s.
do 4.10s take away from low end power at all? what is the benefit for having 4.10s?

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Just to throw this in there, I wouldn't recommend going WOT in any gear at a very low RPM. You will burn your clutch up quicker.

And ALWAYS rev match unless you want to have to replace the clutch soon, or possibly the tranny, driveshaft, or rear end very soon.
yea there is a new (less than 3k miles) tex oz 700 clutch in there now so hopefully itll hold up pretty good while i learn
Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

here's the handy dandy gear/speed calculator...

should give you an accurate list of speed @ rev limits to go off of.

and really when rev matching....as long as you get the engine revs increasing...its better than decreasing.
you don't have to worry so much about getting the revs matched...since in a race situation you should be paying attention to the road.
but to keep wear down o n the clutch...get the engine speed increasing.

otherwise the physics are like this

release clutch...flywheel is decelerating....shift to lower gear...egage clutch...friction has to basically stop the decelerating momentum and initiate positive momentum. much more shock to the system.

imagine jumping on one of those "moving sidewalks" at the airport. going against the flow throws your stride off...going with it is not so bad.

Last edited by teke184; 01-31-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: downshifting on the highway question