Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia or LS7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd second the notion of if you are looking street than track, LS7 if track then street the tex.

The LS7 is good, but it's a street clutch first. I've done 4k clutch dumps, but never put it through a truly hard launch of 4k+ and a track that held like super glue or stickies. That's pretty much ringing the death bell of my 10 bolt for that kind of launch.

If you've got the rear to handle stickies and 4.5k + dumps then even an OZ700 may not be enough for repeated abuse. It's a step up over the LS7, but it's had it's own share of stories on these forums. (not to mention everything else that SHOULD be bare minimum upgraded for such launches)
Old 01-29-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I've always really liked my Clutchmasters Stg. III / Aluminum Flywheel setup... grips really well and has excellent street manners...
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but thats if ur comparing the original two. the OP said he's open to others, so i'm sure there's a clutch that can handle the strip better than the ls7 but remain friendly and isn't the cost of a textralia........
Old 01-29-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I figured the first post would show that it's going to see a fair share of the track once the rear is in.

I have focused on these two mainly because they seem like ones with the best results. Almost every clutch seems like it's either hit or miss and I am not a gambling man.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

ah i see,. I'm doing this exact debate myself and figure there's somthing inbetween the two that would satisfy my same needs...
Old 01-29-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the LS7 and love it. It is designed to handle a minimum of 500HP so you are well within its design limits. It is also relatively cheap, compared with other alternatives.

You can also avoid the horror stories told here about non-GM clutches.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
I have the LS7 and love it. It is designed to handle a minimum of 500HP so you are well within its design limits. It is also relatively cheap, compared with other alternatives.

You can also avoid the horror stories told here about non-GM clutches.

I haven't looked at any Corvette forums to see how much ZO6's are holding with the stock clutch. But you have consider the ZO6 is lighter and is making around 450-470HP to the wheels.(I'm not sure how much they dyno stock) My car is heavier and eventhough it's not making as much power it's still going to be launched hard.

Basically I want to know if the LS7 will be up to the task.

Also, I was under the impression that the Textralia was able to handle high rpm dumps and some hot-lapping. Why else am I paying a grand for a clutch? If it can't then I don't see why I shouldn't get the LS7.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

I have the OZ700. More track than street and many 5500rpm, wheel lifting, hot lapping launches. Not a hint of a slip and it is very, very streetable.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckyt1
I have the OZ700. More track than street and many 5500rpm, wheel lifting, hot lapping launches. Not a hint of a slip and it is very, very streetable.
X or Z grip?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grifter
X or Z grip?
Sorry, you did ask that in the first post. It is a "Z" grip. I was told, when I bought it, that the X was not very good...
Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, you did ask that in the first post. It is a "Z" grip. I was told, when I bought it, that the X was not very good...
No problem, thanks for the info. I haven't really heard many bad things about each, but a lot of people don't specify which version they have. They say that the OZ700 Series can handle about 700 ft lbs. The X-Grip being the more street friendly clutch, the Z being more of a track disc. And now I'm reading that it can't handle clutch dumps and hot-lapping. That just doesn't make any sense, I always thought that the Textralia is one of best clutches and it can handle almost anything you throw at it. Like I said in a previous post, why else would I spend that kind of money for a clutch?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

When I asked about the X or Z when I was buying mine, the reponse I got was, "I don't know why they even make the X". That was a year and a half ago. Not nearly as many Tex threads were around then. The only problem I have had with mine was the low engagement issue. I ended up doing the adjustable stock master mod and have had no problems since. My tranny is out right now and I am going to pull the clutch just to check it out. If you haven't made a decision in the next couple of weeks, I'll let you konw how it's holding up...
Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I asked about the X or Z when I was buying mine, the reponse I got was, "I don't know why they even make the X". That was a year and a half ago. Not nearly as many Tex threads were around then. The only problem I have had with mine was the low engagement issue. I ended up doing the adjustable stock master mod and have had no problems since. My tranny is out right now and I am going to pull the clutch just to check it out. If you haven't made a decision in the next couple of weeks, I'll let you konw how it's holding up...
Yeah, please let me know how it looks. I won't be buying a clutch until atleast the Spring. It seems like their clutches have slowly gotten better and all the problems that the older versions had have been ironed out.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Shoot me a pm if you haven't heard from me in the next two weeks. I'll try to get some pics of it for you.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Shoot me a pm if you haven't heard from me in the next two weeks. I'll try to get some pics of it for you.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Launching!

this doesn't directly apply to your application, but i've been running the LS7 clutch/flywheel for about 7 months now. my car is a purpose built drift car that still sees a bit of street time. it's held up to repeated clutch kicking during banked oval drifting in 4th gear (killed my SPEC in two laps doing this), multiple other drift events with plenty of abuse, and even a few nights at the drag strip. the street manners of the clutch are amazing after owning that spec, very light on the pedal but great engagement. you've got about 40hp on me and some extra weight to move, but i don't doubt that it can hold up just fine to it.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by icantdrift
this doesn't directly apply to your application, but i've been running the LS7 clutch/flywheel for about 7 months now. my car is a purpose built drift car that still sees a bit of street time. it's held up to repeated clutch kicking during banked oval drifting in 4th gear (killed my SPEC in two laps doing this), multiple other drift events with plenty of abuse, and even a few nights at the drag strip. the street manners of the clutch are amazing after owning that spec, very light on the pedal but great engagement. you've got about 40hp on me and some extra weight to move, but i don't doubt that it can hold up just fine to it.
I would think that drifting puts a beating on the cluth as well. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Banned

Just a question Grifter, have you thought about the spec 3 at all???
Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Stay away from spec clutches and flywheels at all costs. I personaly, along with many of my friends experienced clutch failures with them within the first 6 months after installation.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Get the Textralia. It is a top notch product. Very streetable and will handle your power at the track. I have a mostly street some strip stock internals car (for 9 more days anyway) with the Exo-Skel twin clutch. It is even a great daily driver clutch. I had a RAM Power Grip (not HD) die in 9 months on this car. The Exo-Skel has a lighter pedal; and tons more bite and has lasted twice as long with not one hic-up. It makes no sense to spend $600-$700 now and in 6-9 months have to spend another $1000-$1300 to do it right like I had to. Save yourself the first $700 and get the Textralia the first time.

Quick Reply: Textralia or LS7?