Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Oz700 Z-grip and Synchromesh Review pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking Oz700 Z-grip and Synchromesh Review pt 2

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...520&highlight=

This is the original post for those who want to review and get caught up.

Textralia Oz700 Review:

Since this time I've got roughly 250 miles on the clutch and I figure I'd give an update. With the weather being so hit or miss and me getting married, just no time to go drive lol.

Simply stated, I LOVE this clutch!!

I know some have may have seen my recent post but this clutch does kick ***. I have full faith in it's ablility to live for a long time.

Tex doesnt really have a "break-in" period, that at least I can find. But sticking to the tried and true method, I just was easy on it for the 1st 0 to 400ish miles, maybe less.

For the 1st 30-40 miles, the clutch had very little if non exsistant chatter, after that, I havent had any at all. Very smooth and still a high engagement point. For the 1st 100-140 miles every shift hasnt been over 2k rpms.

While working on the break-in, after the 140ish mark, I extended the RPM's to 3k and maybe even a 3.5k shift, no WOT just driving. Only one time around the 100 mile mark I smelled clutch, I used the clutch ALOT trying to park it. I havent smelled it since.

At the 250 mark, I just took a left onto a main road, I had shifted into 2nd and rolling maybe 35 mph and on a clear but cold road, I rolled the throttle and the tires broke loose.... I was amazed, I know the pavement is cold but this car could NOT do this a month before in same weather with the LS6 40k mile clutch.

I now suspect I had some slippage that couldnt be seen but I feel now that it was there all along.

What I plan on doing is driving another 150 or so easy miles with a few WOT blips, just gradually increasing the hardness of driving. At around 400 I will do a dead stop WOT run (with new tires ) and see how she does.

I also had a friend drive the car, he had previously a stock clutch, a Spec 3 and now a Spec 2 and was quite impressed, i'll have him post his thoughts.

Review: 5 out of 5

Pennzoil Synchromesh Review:

After careful research and review I choose this fluid, multiple websites and some sponsor reviews. Also its the GM fluid but cheaper!!

I live in CT at a rather high elevation, its been around 10-30 degrees on any given day. Like any fluid, it likes to warm up to operating temp. I try to let the car get some heat to the coolant before driving.

The trans oil doesnt seem to want to warm up until a few miles and a few shifts which is fine, this is winter.

The trans has 40k, always a lil notchy, no drill mod, I didnt care. I noticed it was notchy when its DEAD cold with the OLD 40k mile factory fluid.

As it warms up, it goes away completely. My 2-3 was always been a lil notchy but with this fluid, it's non exsistant.

Frankly I dont think there is a better fluid out there. I am very happy with the purchase.

I hope to have more reviews, I plan on one after I can do some WOT runs, and a another after going to the track.

Review: 5 out of 5

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 01-29-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Thought I'd add this.

I drove this car the other day when BlackScreamin had some more miles on it, but not enough to beat on it. I got in because I wanted to feel the pedal pressure (I had a Spec 3 and now have a Spec 2). BlackScreamin let me take it for a trip around the block and all I can say it WOW.

I've NEVER thought an aftermarket clutch rated so high in holding power could feel so close to stock. My Spec 3 had leg throbbing hard pedal pressure if not used to it or driving it for a few hours. When I put my Spec 2 in, it was MUCH lighter and I thought I had found a good balance of pedal pressure and holding power. I now see that I am absolutely wrong.

This Textralia clutch had the best pedal feel I've ever felt in any car, ever. Period. It requires just SLIGHTLY more pressure to disengage and release than stock, but has the most positive feel to it I could have ever imagined. Probably moreso than that.

If the Spec 3 was an 8/10 on the pedal strength, stock is a 1/10, and the Spec 2 is a 6/10, the Textralia is maybe a 2 or 3/10. I will see how it holds up to BlackScreamin's abuse at the track, especially when he puts some bigger mods into the car, and if it holds up well and lasts, I will probably not even consider any other clutches when I find I need to replace my Spec 2 (maybe even sooner...).

And to add, I've never liked the feel of a stock clutch; it's just way too light for me after driving the Specs for so long, but this Textralia felt JUST RIGHT. Assuming it holds the power and lasts, the product MORE than justifies the price.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the good information guys.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet, i just bought this clutch myself with 4.10 gears to....should be a blast
Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
sweet, i just bought this clutch myself with 4.10 gears to....should be a blast
Yea, your going to have a blast, I have 4.10's but not nearly the steep trans ratios you have.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Yea, your going to have a blast, I have 4.10's but not nearly the steep trans ratios you have.
??? What tranny came in the 02 Vettes?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
??? What tranny came in the 02 Vettes?
Same as your GTO trans.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Same as your GTO trans.
Nice, so the 02 Vettes came with the badass MFin transmission.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Nice, so the 02 Vettes came with the badass MFin transmission.
The ZO6 did...the regular Vettes got the "crappy" gear ratios along with the F-bodies.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Internet Mechanic

Yea, I assumed he had a z06 btw.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
The ZO6 did...the regular Vettes got the "crappy" gear ratios along with the F-bodies.
Aha. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Oz700 Z-grip and Synchromesh Review pt 2