Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch started smoking!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch started smoking!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Car is a 01 ws6 with 22000 miles. Don't beat up my car that much, but last night decided to rev to 4k and dump the clutch. Have done this several times before, no problems. This time clutch smoked instead of tires, and let out a proof of smoke. It runs fine now, goes into every gear, and no wierd noises. Does this mean my clutch is about to go bad, just slipped once or something that happens every once and a while? Also car was not extremely hot, drove it maybe 10 miles around town before that driving normally. PLEASE HELP AND COMMENT!!! thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Clutch started smoking!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Thats funny - The same thing happened to me last night, under the same circumstances, but my dump was at 2500 rpm. Car has 19.5K miles. I caught it just after a second or so of slipping, so it didnt smoke too bad, just smells god awful. Ran fine today though. From what Ive read, you should be okay. I think the clutch should have held, i was kindof disappointed that it didnt, being a z06 clutch and all. If it starts happening more frequently ill be looking into a spec stage 2.

-Tony
Old 07-09-2003, 12:18 PM
Teching In

That is funny...Is it just some slippage, or will it get worse(aka beginning of clutch going bad) Any Clutch pros your advice would be Helpful. And GUITSBOY...have you tried a clutch dump since???? thanks, banks
Old 07-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Teching In

ttt
Old 07-09-2003, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replied over here, I assume this is your post as well:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=341000

yes, I did two 2000 rpm launches and it held both this morning. I did notice it slipped a little bit last night after giving it a few minues to cool, but it wasnt a launch, it slipped as I was rolling on the gas. This morning everything seems to be fine though.

-Tony

Quick Reply: Clutch started smoking!!! PLEASE HELP!!!