Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

is my flywheel messed up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy is my flywheel messed up?

ok so on my way home the other day the car started acting weird. it was so hard to shift and the gears seemed like they were engaged all the time . i could put the car in 1st and here something like gears turning . ok so i get home . shut it off and put in in first and start it. kind of jumps in gear with the clutch down or disengaged. so i take it to a shop , they pull the trans and see that i have a broken clutch spring that popped out and i bought a new clutch and had the flywheel turned and put back in . ok good to go until i get out off the garage and at take off with light gas it chatters really bad in 1st and reverse. so my tranny guy DOES NOT like that . so he thinks its the clutch. so he pulls it our and does it all over again . its a little better now but as i drove it and clutched in more and more it seemed to get worse.. now i talked to some guys at motorcity steel and they said sounds like it put hot spots in the flywheel and hardened it in places and so its screwed. anyone else had this happen?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

What kind of clutch did you put in? Some of the aftermarket clutches chatter until they're broken in.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckyt1
What kind of clutch did you put in? Some of the aftermarket clutches chatter until they're broken in.
that and also how much was cut off the flywheel. With the exception of STOCK (GM) or Textralia, there is some what of a break in period needed.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:28 PM

first it was a borg and beck was the first clutch and then velco was the second . spelling on the second? lol
Old 02-01-2008, 01:30 PM

not sure. each time we put the 2 clutches in it was cut both times.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:31 PM

i drove the first one for about 90 miles and the second one 45 miles and it never got better. last one got worse actually
Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of them have a break-in period of about 500+ miles, and many people experience the chatter for the first few hundred if the clutch chatters. My first one did for almost the full break-in period.

Quick Reply: is my flywheel messed up?