Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What fluid should I use in my T-56 as per Tremec techincal support

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dex III if it's got the stock blocker rings, dex VI or a synthetic if it's been rebuilt
Old 09-18-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shatterz
I see a lot of questions on here asking about what trans fluid should be used in the t-56. I called up Tremec technical support to get the final answer.

-Dexron III is THE most highly recommended all round choice, specifically Texaco/Havoline brand.

-Dexron VI- Still being evaluated and tested, NOT recommended for the T-56 at this time and has caused issues so far in preliminary evaluation.

-Syncromesh- Not really recommended, but can be used in high temp high stress applications(drag racing, very hot climates etc.) since it is thicker than dexron III for some added protection.

-Synthetic- Mobil 1 is the only brand advisable to use and tested by Tremec, can cause shifting issues in colder climates.

So there you go, straight from the manufacturer.

I know, old post.
So I went to try and find Havoline Dexron III here in MI. We don't have it. Word on the street is Havoline is mostly down south now. So I guess after rereading this, I'm going to go with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF fluid. I won't be driving this in the winter anyway. Stinks you can't even find Dexron III in other brands, and when you say something to the people behind the counter, they're like, oh it'll be fine, they supersede eachother. I'm like, nope, see ya later. So anyone find out if Tremec has done any more testing with VI?
Just curious. Mobil 1 here I come. And this is really going to tick me off, because up until now I've refused to buy any Mobil 1 product. Damn.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bichin95redta
Probably off-topic, as this has to do with breaking in a freshly rebuilt T-56...

BREAK IN PROCEDURE FOR T56REBUILDS.COM CUSTOM BUILT T56 TRANSMISSIONS

1. 4QTS of Royal Purple Synchromax or mobil 1 ATF will be fine. You can purchase both at your local parts store.

2. Normal driving for 500 miles is required for breakin. Please make this as much stop and go as possible. Dynoing the vehicle is fine during break in.

The instruction sheet was in the crate after I got my tranny back from a T56rebuilds.com (billet keys, carbon fiber synchros, steel 1-2, 3-4, & 5-6 forks, & bronze slipper pads) rebuild; they did an outstanding job on my tranny.
You just shipped the transmission to them? How much did they charge for the rebuild listed?

Last edited by jester ls1; 09-18-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Well just went and bought 4 qts of Mobil 1. Hope its still good. Says "New Formula" on the bottle. Side note. Guy says Amsoil just bought out Royal Purple.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Well just went and bought 4 qts of Mobil 1. Hope its still good. Says "New Formula" on the bottle. Side note. Guy says Amsoil just bought out Royal Purple.
How's that new fluid treating you? Shift quality?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Only drove it about 10 miles so far. But love it! Going to drive more this weekend.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1 joe
Yes Mobil 1 is what is preferred by us and most shops we speak with. GM Synchromesh is what is in it from the factory and is a Dextron 3 fluid. Mobil 1 ATF is Dextron 3 compatible.

Amber
They really come from the factory with GM Synchromesh??
Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Since this was brought back up thought I'd give another update. I love it still. Only time it was clunky was just like they said it would be in cold weather. Couple times I took the car out in cold weather in winter for a small spin and just had to let trans warm up. Then it's great.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

I saw this thread and thought that I would chime in. I ran my stock untouched t-56 for 9 years shifting it over 7,000rpm. When I had it disisembled to have it Pro-shifted, the tranny guy told me it was one of the cleanest tranny he ever saw. He said that you can't shift these tranny's much over 6,500rpm and what was my trick for shifting at 7,000 and having such a clean/min wear tranny.
I told him the trick is GM Syncromesh!
The day I put it in it started shifting smoother and I was able to shift it at higher RPM.
Most all road racing guys are running it also.
GM Syncromesh
Bob
Old 05-11-2010, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SlickVert
I saw this thread and thought that I would chime in. I ran my stock untouched t-56 for 9 years shifting it over 7,000rpm. When I had it disisembled to have it Pro-shifted, the tranny guy told me it was one of the cleanest tranny he ever saw. He said that you can't shift these tranny's much over 6,500rpm and what was my trick for shifting at 7,000 and having such a clean/min wear tranny.
I told him the trick is GM Syncromesh!
The day I put it in it started shifting smoother and I was able to shift it at higher RPM.
Most all road racing guys are running it also.
GM Syncromesh
Bob

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO SAY THIS!! This is what i've been hearing about the synchromesh and have wanted to try it but it doesn't seem too popular on this website... My friend just put it in his car (honda) and he said it took away the high RPM shift grinding and that shifting in general is alot smoother. I'm sold, probably try it next week
Old 05-12-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Quote:
Yes Mobil 1 is what is preferred by us and most shops we speak with. GM Synchromesh is what is in it from the factory and is a Dextron 3 fluid. Mobil 1 ATF is Dextron 3 compatible.

Amber

Well if this is true, then that is what was in my car when I drained it to put in the Mobil 1 and I'll say it's a lot smother now. So can someone confirm that synchromesh was or was not used from factory fill. I thought it was just a cheap Dexron III
Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Mine has dexron III written on the side of the tranny. I assume it's from the factory, but not 100%. It was rebuilt by Six speeds inc in 06 and have used mobil 1 ever since as recommended by them.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blue98Z
Mine has dexron III written on the side of the tranny. I assume it's from the factory, but not 100%. It was rebuilt by Six speeds inc in 06 and have used mobil 1 ever since as recommended by them.
I think they all come with that sticker from the factory
Old 05-12-2010, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

The synchromesh I heard that was really good is the "friction modified" stuff. Anyone heard of it?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Quote:

Amber

Well if this is true, then that is what was in my car when I drained it to put in the Mobil 1 and I'll say it's a lot smother now. So can someone confirm that synchromesh was or was not used from factory fill. I thought it was just a cheap Dexron III
I bought my WS9 new and it did not come with GM Synchromesh. When I switch it, it was no small change, it made a big difference how it drove and I could then start shifting it at a much higher rpm with out is not sliding into gear.
Remember a lot of the road racers that still have the stock synchros are running it.
Bob
Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So is GM Synchromesh the top fluid to run in a T56 then? Do I just go to the local dealership to get it, and is there different varieties or just the one type?

I currently have B&M non-synthetic trick shift in my T56, but thinking of doing a fluid change.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Launching!

same question, whats the name of the best dexron 3 tranny fluid that is NOT synthetic?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 AM
10 Second Club

I have used Mobil 1 ATF in my old Z28 and my SS and my transmission has always shifted perfectly( besides when I had hydraulic problems before Tick master cylinder). My trans also sees a lot of abuse
Old 06-24-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Is GM synchromesh only available from the dealer?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
Is GM synchromesh only available from the dealer?
If it has a GM label on it, it is probably only available through the dealership.

That said, Pennzoil makes synchromesh that is supposed to be the same stuff, and it is stocked regularly at my local auto parts store (Auto Zone).

Quick Reply: What fluid should I use in my T-56 as per Tremec techincal support