Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Possible Clutch/Tranny Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Possible Clutch/Tranny Issue?

Hey. I recently got a new clutch put in which cost an arm and a leg. Well I drive it out and still feel alot of slipping. Now I dont know alot so I think, hey its new give it some time. Well its been almost a week now and still slipping. It could be something unrelated but Im not a mechanic I dont know.

What I'm experiencing. I'll be in 1st gear and punch it hard. I will get some good acceleration for maybe 1 second then it feels like all power was suddenly stopped but the RPM's are still rising then it picks up again and kinda shakes a bit.

I've had passengers ask whats up too cause they can feel it. We'll be driving and Ill punch it and naturally we all hit get pushed into the seats a bit for then fling forward while still punching it then back again like it slips then catches on.

I was told you have to break in the clutch but the shop never told me how to do this. Also Im being told without properly breaking it in that could be why I feel the slipping still. What is the proper method to break it in?

Last edited by EkronikiZ28; 03-14-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by EkronikiZ28
Hey. I recently got a new clutch put in which cost an arm and a leg. Well I drive it out and still feel alot of slipping. Now I dont know alot so I think, hey its new give it some time. Well its been almost a week now and still slipping. It could be something unrelated but Im not a mechanic I dont know.

What I'm experiencing. I'll be in 1st gear and punch it hard. I will get some good acceleration for maybe 1 second then it feels like all power was suddenly stopped but the RPM's are still rising then it picks up again and kinda shakes a bit.

I've had passengers ask whats up too cause they can feel it. We'll be driving and Ill punch it and naturally we all hit get pushed into the seats a bit for then fling forward while still punching it then back again like it slips then catches on.

I was told you have to break in the clutch but the shop never told me how to do this. Also Im being told without properly breaking it in that could be why I feel the slipping still. What is the proper method to break it in?

Generally when saying "breaking in" a clutch u mean to drive it real nice and easy for the first time. In US measurements (Mr. Metric here ) that would be about 500 miles or so. No sudden acceleration from first gear but always start in first gear... And no fast shifting (rally style). Just take it easy on the clutch.

When i replaced some clutches in my days, they have always slipped a little at first, but if u just treat them nice to begin with it should settle right in.

So. No more "punching it" for a while at least
Old 03-15-2008, 03:09 PM

Just making sure the slipping is caused by not breaking it in and not by faulty installation. If it was faulty I'd wanna take it back before I'd have to pay for the fix.