Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Cheapest ls7 cluth kit??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest ls7 cluth kit??

who has the best deals on clutches?? i think ima go with the ls7 kit...any advise on aluminum flywheels vs billet steel? pm me plz
Old 03-17-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan on drag racing the car, go with the billet steel flywheel. Otherwise, go with the aluminum for auto-x type stuff.

Got any more pics of the car? I love the CTS-Vs.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Internet Mechanic

Scoggin Dickey has the best prices. Aluminum allows the rpms to drop quickly but raise quickly at the same time, but makes for "more difficult" street driving manners. The flywheel is one of the few things where its ok to have some weight. It allows for greater enertia and when it comes to drag racing, the car is less likely to "fall on its face" and bog off the line.

Being you have a caddy, you may have different requirements.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:21 PM

Aluminum flywheels also hurt clutch life.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Aluminum flywheels also hurt clutch life.
How's that? Explain.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just went from an LS7 clutch/ LS2 flywheel setup to a Mcleod twin disk with aluminum flywheel and I gotta say i'm loving the aluminum. It shaved a lot of weight off the LS7 setup and it revs WAY faster, like a different motor. LS7 is a heavy bastard. When I first got it I picked up both clutches and thought that the twin disk wasn't much lighter but then I remembered the the LS7 wasn't attached the the Flywheel like the Mcleod was.

I like the driving manners a bit more with this clutch, yes the RPM's drop faster but with the LS7 it was like I was waiting for them to drop so I could release the clutch. now it's just a quick motion.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

I just put my LS7 in last week and am loving it. I'm just now being able to get on it a bit and it feels awesome! Got mine from Scoggin Dickey too, great price.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was one of the 1st people to do the swap 2 years ago! I have 20,000 miles on it and still grabs great! I drive hard and speed shift alot and do alot of burnouts! I got mine from fred beans but no i have seen byunspeed has great deal on the everynow and then. My car run 11.6 @ 118mph with it
Old 03-20-2008, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hit up Scoggin Dickey

I had it in my CETA and loved it
Old 03-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Teching In

i have a 2002 camaro ss and i just received my ls7 clutch and ls2 flywheel, do i need to replace anything else while having my clutch installed? how much does it usually cost to have it installed?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Dex
How's that? Explain.
I'll be glad to explain,

The main point of having this item is that is lighter weight. It allows motors increase Revs quicker then a given heavier unit. But with physics because there isnt much weight the fly wheel cannot store energy (enertia). Due to this reason the revs will drop quicker then with a stock weighted flywheel.

On the street this becomes a critical issue. Consider this.

When your at a dead stop, be it even a flat driving surface. When you want to accelerate, you engage the clutch, put it in 1st, rev the motor ever so slightly and let the clutch slip. Then disengage and apply even more throttle and your off.

Well with driving, the LESS slip you put to the clutch the longer it lives.

With a aluminum FW you need to slip it more and thats the #1 killer of clutches, excessive slipping.

Now if you dump the clutch its either going to bog, stall, or blow the tires off and if your lucky, its going to drive normal. Its gets rather annoying.

Now the heavier the car is, and the less gearing there is be it in the trans or in the rear is going to require even more slipping.

Hence clutch life is decreased. Ram's website make specific remarks about this, Aluminum flywheels decrease clutch life.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Teching In

I vote byunspeed, by the time you account for their free shipping they are cheaper...
Old 03-21-2008, 05:37 AM
Teching In

i have to agree with you 100 % on the flywheel topic , i just learned the hard way ,if you drag race , especially at the track ,you want a billet steel flywheel, the guy that put my engine together told me go with a heavy steel flywheel , but i figured the lighter the better , and less reciprocating . wrong , i got 3 k miles out of a spec stage 3 ,and didnt have any problems till i went to the track ,and just like you said when i left the car fell right on its face ,bogged ,then i had to pull the r's all the way up again. to make matters worse i had m/t streets on !
Old 03-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

Scoggins Dickey
Matt was a lot of help.
Good price, good customer service.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:44 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

We can get you set up. Just give us a call or shoot me a pm with any questions you have.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I'll be glad to explain,

The main point of having this item is that is lighter weight. It allows motors increase Revs quicker then a given heavier unit. But with physics because there isnt much weight the fly wheel cannot store energy (enertia). Due to this reason the revs will drop quicker then with a stock weighted flywheel.

On the street this becomes a critical issue. Consider this.

When your at a dead stop, be it even a flat driving surface. When you want to accelerate, you engage the clutch, put it in 1st, rev the motor ever so slightly and let the clutch slip. Then disengage and apply even more throttle and your off.

Well with driving, the LESS slip you put to the clutch the longer it lives.

With a aluminum FW you need to slip it more and thats the #1 killer of clutches, excessive slipping.

Now if you dump the clutch its either going to bog, stall, or blow the tires off and if your lucky, its going to drive normal. Its gets rather annoying.

Now the heavier the car is, and the less gearing there is be it in the trans or in the rear is going to require even more slipping.

Hence clutch life is decreased. Ram's website make specific remarks about this, Aluminum flywheels decrease clutch life.
Thanks that makes sense
Old 08-15-2008, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Lightweight for autox road course, steel for drag...

Quick Reply: Cheapest ls7 cluth kit??