Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch problem

Hey guys. Been busy lately. Finally got the vette back and took it for a tune. Put out 438rwhp and 386rwtq. Lower than what I was expecting but car is just insane fast. Anyways the clutch pedal sticks, only after a high rpm run. Second gear it really doesn't do it but when keeping in it into 3rd gear and go over 5500rpms the clutch pedal will stick to the floor. The clutch stays engaged. I then lift the pedal off the floor with my foot. Pedal comes right back up. I then push it right back down and everything works just fine. The fluid is clear and just put in new fluid. There is no clutch smell whatsoever and the clutch doesn't slip at all. I can normal drive the car and slip the clutch right after this happens and no problems. What do you guys think is causing this??? Possible slave cylinder going bad??? Thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Others have had this problem recently in this forum and the general consensus is that it's due to the fluid boiling, what kind of fluid did you put in, and what slave do you have and how long has it been in?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
Others have had this problem recently in this forum and the general consensus is that it's due to the fluid boiling, what kind of fluid did you put in, and what slave do you have and how long has it been in?
I use the synthetic Valvoline brake fluid in it. The car is still on the stock clutch and slave. Clutch has around 8200 miles on it, same as the car. I understand what you are saying about the fluid boiling but wouldn't that cause the clutch pedal to be screwed up even after it boils. Like I said right after I pull the clutch back up, then press it back down, everything is fine.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by scramblerman
I understand what you are saying about the fluid boiling but wouldn't that cause the clutch pedal to be screwed up even after it boils.
I don't think so, it's in a closed system and so what's eluding out when it boils isn't air it's just the fluid, then after it cools back down below the vapor pressure the gaseous bubbles simply return right back to their fluid form.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Join the sticking clutch pedal club. The club is getting bigger everyday
Old 03-25-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

so, might as well put in a new clutch at the same time. Is there and aftermarket slaves out there or just go with a new GM one???
Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well Today Changed the fluid to Valvoline Syn dot 3-4 and heat taped the master all the way down to tranny and STILL HARD TO SHIFT UNDER HIGH RPMS. I was goin crazy today yelling at my mechanic because I dont know what else to do. I dont want to spend another grand on a new clutch but I may have to. Someone said that the flywheel probably is not properly balanced and under high rpms the counterweights are througn off balance. GM reccommends a 0 balance on stock flywheels. Mine was resurfaced but not balanced. I dont know what else to do either.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

scrambleman, tilton makes a unit but Idk if it's just for their clutches

vette786c, is the problem identical to the one described with pedal stick, or is the pedal feel working when this happens?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
scrambleman, tilton makes a unit but Idk if it's just for their clutches

vette786c, is the problem identical to the one described with pedal stick, or is the pedal feel working when this happens?
About 6000 rpms the clutch sticks to the floor, then when rpms go back down the clutch petal comes back up. I am so frustrated dont know what to do anymore.