Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch pressed car still moves

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch pressed car still moves

2001 Camaro SS RAM clutch, OEM slave and master with drill mod. When I start the car I cant get into any gear. I have to have the car off before I grab first or reverse. Once I start the car with the clutch to the floor, the car will move. Once its moving, I can change gears. Sometimes its a little rough but it works.
Clutch? Bad hydro?
Slave was done last year with ample bleeding.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:05 AM
wrencher

More than likely hydraulics. How does the pedal feel? is the master adjusted correctly?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that problem but its only if im on flat level ground and i put it in first or reverse and rev it up to 5500 to 6grand. you may try bleeding it a little more. How many miles are on the master?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

If the car creeps then the clutch is not fully releasing with the pedal depressed. This is likely related to hydraulics. I would start by checking the fluid. If it is dark or dis-colored then it need to be flushed and refilled. This alone may solve you problem. Try it and let us know what you find. Then we can offer more suggestions as needed. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Teching In

sounds like the clutch is dragging. fix it quickly before you destroy your clutch setup. also do you have and adj. master cylinder.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm not sure how many miles are on the clutch or the master. the master is NOT adjustable and the fluid is still pretty clean. I put maybe 4k a year on this car, the clutch and master were done maybe a year to a year and a half ago. Last year when i put the slave in, I was having the same issue and installed a spec shim, the problem was 90% gone, than i put the car away for the winter. i took it out and the problem is back.
I could bleed it again and see i guess.
what would you do if the clutch is dragging? hydro's or . . . ?

thanks all, i appreciate it
Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Teching In

if the clutch is dragging you def. need to situate out the hydro problem before it completly destroys your whole clutch set-up.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

clutch is dragging.

part of it may be that the clutch needs to be broken in (if its new) but you have a hydro issue.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Clutch does not require break in, it has been used in this car for a while now and raced with. Should I try making the master adjustable?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

I had the same problem with my car when I put in a new clutch last fall..

I made my own adjustable Slave..didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on one, so made my own for less than 10 bux, and after several adjustments got the clutch set right.

**Note, I have an LT1 which is different than the LS1 tranny..but I just wanted to point out the problem is in the hydraulics, and you are most likely going to need an adjstable slave or master. **

What I don't get is why yours is doing it now, and didn't before ??
Old 03-27-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's got dead pedal, then prolly hydraulics, may be clutch though but not likely.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this has happened before. last year when i isntalled a new slave and shim to help combat this probem, it did a little better. i was able to get reverse and foward from a dead stop. it was still not like butter as it should be but it was better. than the car sat for 8 months i moved to florida from jersey and this is where im at now with the issue. i cant swing a big price tag now after moving 1200 miles and getting into a house down here, so i will try the adjustable master modification this weekend.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
I had the same problem with my car when I put in a new clutch last fall..

I made my own adjustable Slave..didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on one, so made my own for less than 10 bux, and after several adjustments got the clutch set right.

**Note, I have an LT1 which is different than the LS1 tranny..but I just wanted to point out the problem is in the hydraulics, and you are most likely going to need an adjstable slave or master. **

What I don't get is why yours is doing it now, and didn't before ??
How did you make your own adjustable slave for the LT1?? I thought this could only be done on the LSx hydralics.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SweetTooth
How did you make your own adjustable slave for the LT1?? I thought this could only be done on the LSx hydralics.

See the rod on the right..that was the rod in the stock slave...the one on the left was the one I made out of two hardend bolts, two nuts, and a sleeve..and then I ground the ends of the bolts off to be the same as the original one...and presto, I have an adjustable slave!
Old 04-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1

See the rod on the right..that was the rod in the stock slave...the one on the left was the one I made out of two hardend bolts, two nuts, and a sleeve..and then I ground the ends of the bolts off to be the same as the original one...and presto, I have an adjustable slave!
That looks pretty cool. Think you can provide me with some sizes of the bolts & directions on how to fab up one of these??
Old 04-07-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would give an adjustable master a shot, OP. If the shim solved the problem 90%, then it sounds like the slave isn't pushing the PP far enough to fully disengage.

First try rebleeding since it's free, then the master, then probably the clutch itself.

Quick Reply: Clutch pressed car still moves