Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My T56 Swap *Pics* 56k Warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My T56 Swap *Pics* 56k Warning

Hey guys I started my T56 Swap tonight on my 99 Trans Am. I worked On it about 2 Hours. Im going to do some more on it tomarrow if weather permits.

Here are some pictures.

Pedals, Steering Column are out

Another Pic

1 More

Out with the old (Im Glad to see these things go lol)

In with the new

Pedals are in

Another pic

And 1 more

Need to Drill and mount master still

Well guys thats about all I have so far. But be assured im going to take lots of pics all the way through the entire process hopefully I can help some people out that might be considering taking the jump.

One Question guys? as you can see in the last pic im ready to mount the master But. how do I make sure the metal bracket is in the right position to mount the U-Bolt and drill the hole for the master? I mean im going to use the pedals for a template for the U-Bolt holes, but that dang bracket is kinda flemsey and it can be moved around a bit from side to side. I just want to make sure I do everything right the first time, and drilling these holes really has me on the nervous side.

Also my car has a Python Alarm on it with an Auto Start (bought the car with it on there) I hope this doesnt effect anything in doing the swap. Meaning I hope my car will still start when I put it all back together (even with the key lol. I dont care if the autostart works anymore I just hope this thing doesnt mess anything up.

Hope you guys can answer my questions and Ill make sure I post alot more pics next time I work on it.

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by Black99T\A; 05-01-2008 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 05-01-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great man, ill be in your shoes in not too long.. Hope everything works out great for ya.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Keep postin the pics man. My motor and A4 are out right now, but I have to wait till the weekend to get back out there and do some more work. I should have my motor torn down and put back together saturday night and sunday I should have some new holes in my car I'll take a bunch of pics so hopefully we can help eachother out. I'm still waiting on a new spec 3 disk and thats about it and I can bolt my motor and M6 together and slam it back in and grab some gears

But I'm sure your getting pretty excited too. What clutch combo are you going to run? Mines new stock replacement flywheel with a Spec3 clutch, and Pro 5.0 shifter
Old 05-01-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats awesome, Ive been watchin your thread ill be lookin for those pics as soon as you get to work on it next time. Im just going with a stock clutch and Factory flywheel right now, because im really on a tight budget, but later on ill eather be switching to a Spec like you or an LS7, My car is bone stock right now so the the stocker should be fine for a little while at least. but I did order a new hurst comp plus shifter because I got a really good deal on it.

I Just now got home from work so im going to go outside right now and start marking and drilling the holes and them im going to mount the master and button everything back up under the dash. I will post lots of pics that is if things go ok lol.

But thanks for the replys guys, hopefully everything will go smooth and ill be back on here tonight to post up some pics

Later
Old 05-01-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think there are a few of us doing the ol' swap right now. i got picks of my kooks installed and of the lower shift boot i used. instead of getting the dealer boot i bought a mr.gasket universal hotrod boot from pepboys. it fits mint and covers the hole where the a4 harness comes through. best of all it was ten bucks and better than stock. ill upload the pics as soon as i can.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Mounted the Master

Well I finally just finished drilling the holes and mounting the master, and let me tell you what a PITA! That U-Bolt is impossible I just threw it away and used some bolts and some lock washers. Made it 100 times easier although it was still a pain. I feel like someone beat me up and my side is brused from laying against the door sill while working under the dash.

But anyways the master is mounted and here are some pics, thats all I got done tonight cause it was such a bitch.

As you can see from the PICS I have not connected the Master Rod to the Clutch pedal yet. Well I connected it once then took it off, but when its connected the clutch pedal sets down way too low and wont move up or down. Is this becasue the Master Line isnt connected to the Slave Yet???? thats what I assume??
Old 05-02-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just posted the same question about the pedal sitting low. i did my master last night as well and noticed it.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Good work dude im still doing mine cuz of that stupid torque converter bolt. But how did you disconnect the thing so it has to be in park to start
Old 05-02-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Looking good man, I have no idea about the pedal though hopefully its because theres no fluid in the system so its just sagging right now. When are you going to cut the hole for the shifter? If you need some detailed pics on the cut let me know, I have about 10 pics saved on my computer and can post them up if you haven't seen them yet. I haven't got that far yet, but this weekend I should.

The funny part is that I have 2 T56 swaps going on right now, but the other one in in my brothers S10, that one is being a PITA right now. I'll get some pics of that one too.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1slow
Good work dude im still doing mine cuz of that stupid torque converter bolt. But how did you disconnect the thing so it has to be in park to start
Its just a cable that goes to the steering column, just has 2 little bity screws holding it to the column. you cant miss it, easy to take off.

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Looking good man, I have no idea about the pedal though hopefully its because theres no fluid in the system so its just sagging right now. When are you going to cut the hole for the shifter? If you need some detailed pics on the cut let me know, I have about 10 pics saved on my computer and can post them up if you haven't seen them yet. I haven't got that far yet, but this weekend I should.

The funny part is that I have 2 T56 swaps going on right now, but the other one in in my brothers S10, that one is being a PITA right now. I'll get some pics of that one too.
Thats cool, good luck on your swaps. Im hoping the pedal will be ok once everything is hooked up and bleed. Ive still got to pull the tranny and then cut the hole for the transmission, so pics for cutting the hole would be great. I wasnt able to work on the car today because its been stormy and raining here all day long. hopefully if it clears up tomm I can get back to work and take some more pics, ill keep you guy posted. Thanks
Old 05-03-2008, 04:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Omec
i just posted the same question about the pedal sitting low. i did my master last night as well and noticed it.
Id like to know why the pedal sits so low? maybe its just because I dont have anything hooked to the master right now? because its not hooked to the slave or not bleed? I dont know? I tried pulling up on the pedal when i hooked the rod to it and it didnt budge so im assuming that the rod has extended all the way out.

I will post a pic of where my pedal sits tomm. and if you find anything out about it let me know.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found that when doing a master cylinder change it is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to take out the brake booster and do it that way. Thats my method
Old 05-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

What about the electrical connection that plugs in to it. and what about that rod that comes down from the ignition what do i do about that then.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good. Your master cylinder lines up with your pedal better than mine does from the factory.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1slow
What about the electrical connection that plugs in to it. and what about that rod that comes down from the ignition what do i do about that then.
are you talking about the neutal safety switch? Its just one plug on the clutch pedal u just have to run 2 wires to it from your A4 harness there is a write up about the wiring for the swap in the sticky above check it out, not hard at all just 2 wires. my pedals came with the factory male plug for the safety switch from an M6 car, but if you dont have one you can just buy some connectors and use them.

and the rod thing, im guessing your talking about the cable that runs from the auto shifter to the column, there are just 2 little screws that hold it to the colunm just remove them easy as cake.

Hope this helps ya out let me know
Old 05-04-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Ok guys here are some pics of tonights work

tonight I finished everything up under the dash. Installed the column hooked all the wiring connections back up, put everything back together and the car started and my autostart still works! So I must have done something right lol.

Tomarrow Im going to remove the center console and start taking the auto transmission out. Ill post more pics tomm night.

But here are the Pics from tonight.

Everything is buttoned back up.

I have a Question for you guys im sure someone has to know? Why does My Clutch Pedal Sit about 1 inch lower than my brake pedal???????

Is it because my Master line is not hooked into my Slave yet or what???????

If I try to pull up on the pedal it wont budge at all?? I hope someone can tell me an answer to this please its got me kinda worried. You can see what im talking about in the above picture.

Buy the way Thanks for all the comments Guys! More pics will be coming soon!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Did you already take care of all the wiring? I am still trying to find out how to wire up reverse lock out and the reverse lights. Do you have any pointers or detailed info on it?
Old 05-04-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by projekt70chevelle
Did you already take care of all the wiring? I am still trying to find out how to wire up reverse lock out and the reverse lights. Do you have any pointers or detailed info on it?
Ive got the wires coming from the neutral saftey switch run and ready to be tapped into my center console, but other then that I havent messed with the reverse lockout or the reverse lights because I still havnt removed the center console or the auto tranny. I will be starting this tonight and Ill make sure to post pics of everything I get done. BTW I bought the pigtails for the reverse lockout and the reverse lights, to make it easier, and the guy I bought the pedals from gave the the pigtail for the neutral safety switch so it makes it nice. Ill help you all I can once I do it all myself.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry for taking so long man, but I hope these will help. I still haven't got anything done on my car this weekend, I degreased the bottom side of my car and started sanding it off to paint it since it has a few rusty spots and that turned into a pretty big project in itself. I have that about halfway done and am going to try to get it done after work on a couple of nights, but I work 2nd shift and don't get done until 12am and my parents are sleeping so hopefully they won't mind too much One suggestion that I have for you is when cutting the hole in the dril 4 holes in the corners and mark out the area where it needs to be cut, then use a jigsaw with a metal blade in it. The jigsaw seems to give me alot better control than a sawzall and the blade is alot thinner so its easier to correct if you get off track a little.

Keep the pics coming man they are helping alot
Old 05-05-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dude thank you so much for the pics you are the man! that will help me out alot! thanks. Looks like your making lots of progress on your swap and what I see so far looks VERY nice.

Quick Reply: My T56 Swap *Pics* 56k Warning