Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

WTF is going on with my gf's T56??? Heelp!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF is going on with my gf's T56??? Heelp!

Okay, the car was sitting for the better part of 3 weeks because of a mysterious electrical bug in the power seats, which magically fixed itself at the end of last week.

To start off, this tranny is supposed to be built to handle some power...it was done by the previous owner after he blew up a couple gears at the track.

Anyways, I was driving the car last Sat. and all of a sudden, the tranny was very hard to put in gear...very strange. I was actually pulling into the mall parking lot, and I told my buddy "wtf is going on, it just got really sticky and wont hardly go into gear" he was like "uuuuh"...then all of a sudden it cleared itself up. Drove it the rest of the afternoon, then a little bit that night (gf was driving) no problems what soo ever. Okay, cool must been some of those bugs.

Then we drive it Sun. afternoon and evening...no problems. Today she drove it to werk, no problems. Then tonight all of a sudden, it would NOT go into 1st-4th barely. I really had to force it!! Then, all of a sudden again, these symptoms go away.

Soo, at 1st I started thinking 'hmm mabye the fluid is low' but I cant hear any whining which would suggest that...now the only other thing I can think of is...I recently had a Z06 clutch assembly put in the car for her. The shop that did it, actually did not bleed the line correctly at 1st and the pedal was pretty sticky...soo I took it back and they fixed it...they finally bled all the fluid out, and put new in. But every once in a while it will do that same exact thing. But it was not doing it at the time the tranny started to get 'sticky'.

Soo what do you guys think?? Possible the clutch assembly is hanging up? I am going to drain the fluid tomorrow and put new in, just to be on the safe side.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TireFryer
Old 08-05-2003, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: WTF is going on with my gf's T56??? Heelp!

Do you have a skip shift eliminator?? If not get one, That gear selection device causes problems, eliminate the skip shift, and I bet you'll be fine. I would appreciate an e-mail when you do figure it oue, I am curious if I am right,
Sleepy383SS@hotmail.com
Old 08-05-2003, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Yep, it has the !cags mod...

Anyone else??
Old 08-05-2003, 12:25 PM
dug
Banned

Sounds like the clutch isnt fully disengaging.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

The only two things left are the clutch not disengaging, or the syncros are messed up. Check the fluid level for the clutch hydraulics, also, take the cap off the clutch fluid reservoir, have someone depress the clutch pedal, if the fluid rises when the pedal is depressed, the clutch master cylinder is bad. When the clutch was replaced, did you replace the slave cylinder, if they did, did they bleed the lines. Air could be in the lines preventing the clutch from always disengaging. If it’s a 98-00 the slave cylinder could be the problem, they were faulty units right from the factory, fixed in 01. As far as the transmition, you had stated the trans was rebuilt, it could have just been a sloppy rebuild and you have problems with the syncros meshing right or a number of different issues, but I highly doubt that is the case. I have rebuilt seven t56’s now and not one has come back with any problems. Their a pretty easy rebuild. It has to be a problem with the clutch. My friend had had a very similar problem but it was a short in the Cags, the skip shift eliminated it. Hope I offered some help, Good luck,
Old 08-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Teching In

i had the exact problem you described with your g/f's T-56. i have a 95 TA, but since it's the same tranny i wouldn't doubt it's the same problem seeing as how the symptoms match perfectly. it starts locking you out of gear, and trust me - the longer you let it go on the worse it will get and more often. my problem turned out to be the entire transmission. i paid a total of $3000 to put a SPEC stage II clutch in and have the tranny rebuilt. The clutch was only about $600 or $700 installed, so the labor and parts for the tranny rebuild were pretty pricey. of course, i can't guarantee this is the problem but you describe the exact same symptoms i had with mine. i would get a professional opinion and quote.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like the clutch isnt fully disengaging.

Yep!!

I started messing with the car yesterday...took it for a spin, everything was fine, then I romp on it a little bit and boom, it will barely go into gear. Soo I sit for a little bit, and its fine, then I start driving, find and empty side street, and hammer it threw three gears...oops, now the car wont hardly come out of gear and definitely wont go in! I let it sit and it doesnt do any good, I finally have to end up shutting the car off, and putting it in gear to start it. When I did that, I could feel the car rolling even with the pedal pushed in.

Soo I am taking right now back to the shop that put it in...

Quick Reply: WTF is going on with my gf's T56??? Heelp!