Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd gear pop out + 4th gear sticking... damn it

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 3rd gear pop out + 4th gear sticking... damn it

It just happened today... out of blue. 3rd -> 4th shift has always been feeling notchy, and then all of sudden, when I was cruising into a parking lot in 4th, it wouldn't come out at all... clutch all the way in and everything. I had to play a few soccer matches so I just hoped it would be okay when I get back in the car. Well, 7 hours later, just like I anticipated, it still sticks. So I drive skipping 4th, for about 20 miles to home. When I was almost home, I got was getting off the highway and put it in 3rd after coasting in neutral, and 3rd is popping out... damn it. 4th gear still sticks but somewhat comes out easier although it does grind a bit when coming out.

So what could be a problem here? I did a search and read people mentioning shifter fork. I'm also thinking synchro for 4th but have bad synchro wouldn't cause 3rd to pop out, right? This sucks as I'm running really tight on money and I have to put money into fixing the tranny... damn it.

Anyway, any help on identifying the problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ninja edit: Oh, and if you guys could fill me in on how much it would cost to fix it, and what kind of work is involved, that would also be great.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is what mine did, prepare for an rebuild soon. The more you drive it the more damage will occur. Call sixspeedsinc.com and they will help you out.