Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP! CLUNK SOUND

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! CLUNK SOUND

Whenever I let the clutch out quick in 1-2, let in clutch in quick when reversing, or get on it a a low speed in 1st or 2nd I hear a clunk noise comming from behind me. What is that? I read in a post where the guy says his shift stick moves a little when he gets on it and mine does the same thing. I think they told him it was the transmission mounts? Also, there is some grease crap all over a metal piece that runs the length of the drive shaft. I'm not sure what this is either. I'm new to driving a manual and must admit that I suck somewhat at driving it in terms of not always easing the clutch out perfectly all the time when up shifting, but damn it why does it have to make a big clunk sound? I have only a little bit left on my bumper to bumper warranty and want to get this in if it sounds like a bad thing. I'm new to LS1s too and have heard they have weak rear ends. I can take a picture of the oil grease thing I'm talking about under the car if that would help. Oh yeah I got a 00' Camaro SS w/ the factory Diff upgrade and of course the M6 tranny. Also I got 31000 on the clock. I just got this car 2 weeks ago and it has done it ever since I got it. If I ease the clutch out ever so perfectly it won't do it.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 08-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: HELP! CLUNK SOUND

The long oily thing next to the drive shaft is the torque arm, don't worry about that. It just keeps your rear axle from rotating the opposite direction as the wheels (remeber Newtons 3rd law?) The clunk you sometimes hear is nothing to worry about either. That's just the freeplay in the differential gears. It's necessary to have that to keep the weak gears from getting chewed up when you race some Mustang. If you get a 9 inch rear like I did, there will be far less free play and you will never have to worry about busting your rear. To avoid making the clunking sound, don't let off the gas all the way when you shift, that will keep the gear teeth from moving appart.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Why is it all covered in a greasy mess?

Rob
Old 08-06-2003, 03:03 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely engine oil, but could also be transmission oil. You have a leak somewhere. Don't be too alarmed, a small amount of oil makes a very big mess. It would be a good idea to keep an eye on your fluid levels, though. It's probably the rear main crank seal on the engine leaking a bit. If it's transmission oil, it could be the tail shaft seal which is easy to replace.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Teching In

It is oily mostly toward the rear like near the diff, but I guess it does go the length of the drive shaft on that metal piece. There are no droplets forming and my car never lays down oil drops on the driveway. So, all stock DIFF make a clunk sound when you don't ease the clutch out?

Rob

Quick Reply: HELP! CLUNK SOUND