Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is my clutch toast? SPEC 3 with lots pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is my clutch toast? SPEC 3 with lots pictures.

Hey everyone. Kinda need to make a decision on this by tomorrow. I think I already know the answer to this. But being new to clutches, I wanted your opinion. And maybe SPEC01 can jump in with some input.

Let me say first... I got this clutch with my donor car. And the person I got the donor car from, got this clutch used with a T56 conversion. So...I dont know the full history of it. And I wasnt very nice to it at first while I fought with hydraulic issues, and while I learned how to drive the thing...

So...just take a look at these and let me know. As I said, I think its toast. Both the flywheel and pressure plate have a "warp" or "wave" to them going around the surface. There are what appear to be heat cracks or something. You can kinda snag some of them with your finger nail. Im answering my own questions...arent I???

Pics...

Thanks for any and all input!!!

J.

EDIT: Im also on the fence with what to buy. Im not sure if I should save some money, and just get the LS7 kit. Car wont see too much track time. But will eventually be getting a cam upgrade. Im also toying with the idea of getting a TEX. But thats very cost prohibitive for me right now. Im moving in a couple weeks, and money is gonna get tight. I have stuff to sell, left over parts and what not. So I might be able to offset the cost. But its a gamble. Any input you want to give on my clutch selection would be welcomed

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 05-15-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need new everything I just pulled my LS6 clutch out this spring and compared to yours mine looked brand new

I went to an LS7 and I love the light pedal and the smooth engagement when leaving at a light. I can walk my car out without touching the gas and my mods are very simluar to yours.

I just had my car tuned by a guy with a pretty potent setup on a spec3 clutch. He commented on how nice and light my car was to drive in traffic. For a daily driver it seems to be good so far....
Old 05-16-2008, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha... Yeah I was pretty sure the clutch was gone. I just wanted to post some pictures for some confirmation and for fun.

Funny thing is, the clutch still drove perfectly. Just a few short months before I wrecked the car It made a trip from PA down to the Outer Banks. Non stop 7.5 hours of driving. And I even had some fun with a few guys on the highways down there. The thing never slipped. Not once.

Aside from the light flywheel being kind of a pain from time to time, I liked the way it drove. But...I have to back that statement by saying my swap car is the first manual trans car that Ive had to daily drive. So I really dont know any better. haha. I drove my buddys stock TA and I felt like the clutch pedal was broken. SO light compared to my spec set up.

Im leaning towards the LS7 mainly due to the price and the fact that Ill probably get it fast. But, I think I can swing a TEX....and I KNOW the TEX will hold now, and when I go with a different cam and all. I have this afternoon to figure it out so I can place and order and get it on its way. haha.

J.

F it... I think Im just gonna go all out on the TEX. I dont want to have to change the clutch anytime soon. And I plan to make a slight power jump soon. Probably gonna track it more this year. Might as well do it right the first time. Im already replacing the slave cyl, pilot bearing and other crap.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 05-16-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good decision. Don't want to let it go with cracks or you'll have a really bad experience.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

When I killed my 1st stock clutch at 3,000 miles I could shift into gear without using the clutch at a dead stop and it would go right into gear, then when I took off it would act like a high stall like 5,500 and creep up to speed, I barely made it to the dealer, lucky I got a new one for free
Old 05-17-2008, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can afford the tex I would def go that route. I am finishing up my tex install now, hopefully it will done tommorow. Also the clutch pedal on the tex is just slightly harder than the stock clutch. Hope that helps with your decision.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pulled the trigger on an LS7 today. Just cant swing the tex right now. I need a few other things to get my car back together. The LS7 should be ok for while. I dont beat the car that hard. And with my schedule, Ill be lucky to get to the track this summer now...

We'll see how it goes.

J.