Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tried out Penzoil Dexron VI...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tried out Penzoil Dexron VI...

So far I'm liking this fluid...

I've used generic off the shelf, Shell Transmission Fluid, Mobil 1 and Amsoil. The only fluid I've thought didn't feel right was the off the shelf fluid. Felt really notchy in the cold compared to the others. Everything else had more or less the same feel.

Since my rebuild I've only used Amsoil and Mobil 1.

I've noticed a few changes in the transmission. The gear noise from the bronze fork pads and the billet keys seems to have quieted down significantly. It's still there but nowhere near as loud as Mobil 1. Third gear pulls would really amplify the sound before, but I actually had to strain to hear it this time around. I don't know if it's in my head or not, but normally the 1-2 shift is nowhere near as butter smooth as the 3-4 shift. 3-4 is really like 0 notch while 1-2 feels like it takes some force. 1-2 still takes some force, but could swear that it's probably reduced by half. Anyone else try this fluid and have similar results or just Dexron VI and found something wrong? So far my experience with it is positive, but it's only been in there for 2 days.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since my rebuild the tranny is a little more notchy as well, but no noise. I'm running Mobil 1 ATF right now and would really like a smoother shift.