Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

i have a weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a weird problem

PLEASE READ!

a couple of days ago, i installed a pro 5.0 shifter, it drove around and shifted just perfect

yesterday, i was on the dyno, and during my last pull, the car didnt want to come out of 4th but it finally did and i didn't think much of it. on the way home, it absolutely WOULD NOT go into 4th, so i figured i'd just go 3-5 and let it sit for awhile.

well, today, i said "ill try 4th", and it went in no problems and came out with no problems.

FINALLY, just normal driving i go into 3rd, then try to go into 4th. heres where i am now:
-the car is stuck in 3rd, it will go to neutral, but only back into 3rd

any help is GREATLY appreciated
Old 05-19-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of your struts (little tiny piece of metal) in the transmission broke and is getting wedged in the gears, locking it in and out of gears. Time for a rebuild.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

great...just what i needed

any idea on how something like this could have happened? do you think the dyno is to blame?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

It happens over the course of driving these cars hard. The transmissions, although great trannys, are not especially beefed up to handle some of the power and hard shifting that we put to them, especially after modding (and the stress on them is worse with a bad driver and will happen more quickly).

Mine lasted 56,000 miles before the exact same thing happened. My brother's lasted 10,000 before it happened because he powershifted a lot. Powershifting is a killer for them, espcially in stock form.

In my case, there was no sign of it except for a pop out of third evey once in a great while. Then one day I put it in fourth to race this guy and when I let off, it just never came out of fourth again. I had to drive it all the way home like that (highway, back roads, through stop signs, etc ). When my brother pulled it apart, the strut was wedged into the gear teeth, preventing us from pulling it out of gear. It never came out of fourth until we pulled it apart.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Just make sure when you rebuild, you do so by buying beefed up everything you can (or just give Six Speeds Inc a call and buy one of their kickass transmissions).
Old 05-19-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

haha, i wish i could, but the funds wont be allowing that

i just found it very weird that it would lock up like that on the dyno

thanks for the input
Old 05-19-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

No problem.

And I know funds can be an issue (you're talking to the king of clutch/tranny issues), but you'll want to take care of that sooner rather than later because that part floating around can damage other things inside the tranny, making it more expensive to fix down the road.

Not to mention, you don't want to get stranded like I did.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

she isnt moving unless its to go get fixed...

luckily, i have a honda to DD
Old 05-19-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your luck man and it looks like the problem has been pointed out. I don't want to hijack but I haven't seen you post in this thread...https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...841330&page=17 for the midwest members I made. We are trying to get a cruise lined up thought I would try to include u in if you get ur ride up and going again.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

miller--thanks for pointing that out! be sure to let me know if anything gets set up

im hoping the problem will be solved in due time
Old 05-19-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will do make sure u post or subscribe to the thread, most of the updates and info will be posted there. If it comes down to people not paying attention I will send pm's out hopefully u get that thing going car looks great BTW.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

thanks man
Old 05-19-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Grab the stage 1 kit from sixspeeds, should solve a lot of problems and beef it up for 700Hp/torque. I think it comes with the viper steel 3-4 shift fork which is usually what gets bent when 3-4 shifting becomes an issue since it's aluminum in stock form.

Some transmissions work fine some crap out in stock form, I would say hydraulics and maintenance tend to speak volumes of how these transmissions fail. Always make sure you have good fluid, the drill mod is done and that the line is wrapped. Failure to keep the fluid in good condition will kill even rebuilt and beefed up transmissions.