Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

All kinds of problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All kinds of problems!

1. Bracket for the torque arm broke, and i could find one anywhere. Gm thankfully had one at a resonable cost. I dont have the bolt either, so does anyone know the Exact measurments in length, diameter, thread, grade, everything of the bolt that goes in the top of the torque arm bracket at the tailshaft.

2. There is a hole right above where the torque arm mounts to the tailshaft. It is about the size of a quarter, looks real clean. I think something goes there?

3. I am leaking tranny fluid like a bitch, and i mean like a quart every 10 miles. I think that is come from the hole mentioned above^^ but if not, i have no f'ing clue where it is comming from the front of the tranny is spotless but the back, and whole underneath of the car is soaked.

4. All the sudden one day the 'stopper' that keeps you from going into reverse at any speed stopped working. I can now shift into reverse at any speed. It actually desided to start blocking out 1st and 2nd at the most inconvinient times (stop signs, lights) and sometimes blocks out 5th, 6th and Rev.

5. 5th is really hard to get into sometimes for some reason, if i shift hard and fast it goes in, but it wont when being civil.

6. Pops out of gear alot.

number 1 happend first, with 2-6 happening shortly after, and all at the same time. I know nothing about trannys so you gotta tell me like a 12 year old.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

For some reason i am thinking the torque arm flopping around broke something that goes in that hole, and that something is what blocked Rev. That something is now loose inside there and blocking out 1st and 2nd, and then falling over to block 5th, 6th, R. The tranny fluid is comming from that whole. That is what i think, but like i said i know nothing.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If tou broke the torque arm it could have spanked the reverse inhibitor solenoid right off the trans( the hole). It would leak alot of fluid out that hole. A broken torque arm can allow enough twist in the trans to crack the extension & other housings, check for cracks . The hard to get in gear sounds more like a clutch release issue but could be due to a cracked bell.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.autozone.com/N,11200623//...eResultSet.htm
Would that be what goes in the hole?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe M10x1.5x(either 40 or 50)
Old 05-21-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

I think I remember it being a little shorter, so it might be the 40.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

3. Have you pulled the transmission lately, twisted a drive shaft, anything to f-up the seals? Did you change the fluid and not torque down the plug?

Keep that f@#ker filled!

4. That may or may not be related, sounds like sel. problems

Check fuse/function of sel.

5. Could be due to low fluid, or too much play in the shifter linkage or endshaft play.

Is there grinding along with? If it's not, then it's probably not clutch disengagement, or synchro problems, though even if it is it could be shifter linkage play. Hard to say.

6. Pops out of gear alot.

The spawn of these issues is probably from running with too little lubricant. Multiple problems could be associated with jumping out of gear, but I would suspect that it's from worn fork pads, (stockers are plastic) and/or worn shifter saddle bushing, due to forcing/hard shifting. That would tear them up and explain the sequence. You've basically got a problem that's cascaded over into a **** load of issues. There's no way around it, you're looking at a rebuild and soon. Treat it nicely as you can, skipping 5th and other problem gears, rev match it when you can. It needs rebuilding, but all the problems your describing sound like consumables, push it much farther and it could get really expensive, really fast.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by calhoon
If tou broke the torque arm it could have spanked the reverse inhibitor solenoid right off the trans( the hole). It would leak alot of fluid out that hole. A broken torque arm can allow enough twist in the trans to crack the extension & other housings, check for cracks . The hard to get in gear sounds more like a clutch release issue but could be due to a cracked bell.
I agree with this. Sounds like you knocked the reverse solenoid out when the torque arm let go. I would imagine, if you look in that hole, you will see the threaded remnants of said solenoid...
Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

To be honest I'd say that you may have just f-ed your tranny all up.

IMHO this is what happened....
Torque arm broke and snapped off your reverse lockout solonoid (SP) some chunks from the reverse lockout fell inside your tranny and are causing the other problems that you listed. You need to stop driving the car and get the tranny out for inspection before something else gets screwed up.

That sucks though man, but good luck getting it fixed
Old 05-26-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chuckyt1
I agree with this. Sounds like you knocked the reverse solenoid out when the torque arm let go. I would imagine, if you look in that hole, you will see the threaded remnants of said solenoid...
The problem with that theory is that the solenoid is way up by the front offset lever, even if it was completely removed it would only splash out a little during high g situations where the fluid would actually reach up there. The fill line is only half way up on the transmission and the hole in question is at the top, in a secluded section of the shifter linkage at that!

Quick Reply: All kinds of problems!